Gillian L. Bunker, Ph.D.
Gillian Bunker is an experienced patent attorney who assists start-ups, established companies, universities and other research institutions in all phases of developing, protecting and commercializing inventions. With over 15 years of practice in utility, design and plant patents, Gillian has handled a variety of technologies, including mechanical devices, medical devices, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, chemistry and agricultural inventions.
Gillian loves technology and innovation, and works closely with clients and inventors to develop a deep understanding of both their technologies and their business needs. Her advice on patent procurement and protection, technology transfer and strategic planning is grounded in business and scientific realities.
Before law school, Gillian earned a Ph.D. in neuroscience and worked as a researcher. Her experience as a scientist helps her partner effectively with researchers and innovators in many disciplines.
- Represents several university clients in patent preparation/prosecution for pharmaceutical and medical inventions.
- Represents multiple manufacturers of consumer electronics in utility and design patent prosecution and enforcement.
- Prepared and prosecuted patents for an agricultural company’s pre- and post-harvest treatments for produce.
- Prepared and prosecuted patents for percutaneous cardiac and vascular devices on behalf of medical device companies.
- Prosecutes patents related to non-invasive medical diagnostics for start-up company.
- Procured trademarks, design patents and utility patents related to baby products developed by independent inventors.
Memberships & Awards
- Intellectual Property Section, Oregon State Bar, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Oregon Bioscience Association, Member
Resources & Ideas
- November 18, 2015
- July 14, 2015
- February 23, 2015
- August 12, 2014
Bunker, G.L., and Nishi, R. (1998). Mechanism of the alpha-bungarotoxin-mediated rescue of ciliary ganglion neurons from cell death. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts, 709:10.
Meshul, C.K., Bunker, G.L., Mason, J.N., Allen, C. and Janowsky, A. (1996). Effects of subchronic clozapine and haloperidol on striatal glutamatergic synapses. Journal of Neurochemistry 67(5):1965-73.
- Portland Youth Philharmonic, Board of Directors
- Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger, Board of Directors
- Bryn Mawr CollegeB.A. degree in Biology (1993)
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2006)
- Oregon Health and Science UniversityPh.D. degree in Neuroscience (2001)
Oregon State Courts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- When I’m not helping inventors to protect their inventions, I enjoy cycling and dragging my family along on various bike adventures.