Jeff Hern assists companies in the manufacturing, food and beverage, and natural resources industries in litigation and regulatory matters.
His experience includes multi-district litigation, federal and state court proceedings, administrative enforcement proceedings and alternative dispute resolution, from early stages through trial. Jeff frequently defends pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, automotive manufacturers, retail outlets, and food and beverage companies in product liability and other personal injury litigation. In addition, he represents companies in water rights adjudications, life and disability coverage cases, and other commercial disputes.
Jeff has a particular focus on regulatory matters affecting food and beverage companies. He advises on product labeling, licensing requirements, food safety protocols, distribution agreements, market withdrawals or recalls, and enforcement proceedings. Jeff works effectively with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB), and Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC), to serve the needs of food manufacturers and processors, distilleries, wineries, breweries, restaurants, grocery stores, and other retail outlets.
• Obtained a defense verdict at trial in wrongful death product liability litigation against an automotive manufacturer.
• Won summary judgment motion on the application of Oregon’s non-economic damages cap to a product liability helicopter crash case arising out of a workplace accident.
• Represented national pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in federal multi-district litigation proceedings.
• Advised food and beverage companies on numerous product labeling issues, including compliance with FDA regulations, USDA organic rules, genetically modified organism (GMO) guidance documents, and California’s Proposition 65, as well as on market withdrawals and recalls.
• Defended food and beverage companies in litigation and enforcement proceedings related to false advertising, labeling, and food-contamination claims.
• Assisted with and secured liquor licenses from the TTB, OLCC and other agencies for numerous distilleries, breweries, wineries, restaurants, hotels, restaurants and other retail outlets.
• Represented an energy company in Oregon water rights adjudication proceedings.
Memberships & Awards
• Portland Business Alliance, "Leadership Portland" Program, graduate (2013-2014)
• International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy, graduate (2009)
• American Bar Association, Food & Dietary Supplement committee (2015-2016)
• Northwest Food Processors Association (2014-2016)
• National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals (2008-2016)
• Defense Research Institute (2007-2016)
• Oregon State Bar Business Litigation Section (2004-2016)
• Multnomah Bar Association, Service to the Public committee (2004-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- September 15, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Sheraton New Orleans Hotel: 500 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130, October 7, 2016
- October 16, 2014
- Playworks Pacific Northwest, Board of Directors
- Denison UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Economics (1998)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude, Certificate in Business Law Concentration (2004)
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon