Kelly T. Hagan
Kelly Hagan has practiced on the cutting edge of healthcare innovation for more than 25 years. Whether it is transitioning to value-based reimbursement, implementing new models of healthcare delivery or facilitating collaborations within competitive markets, Kelly helps his clients meet the antitrust, fraud and abuse, and privacy and data security challenges posed by “the next big thing” in healthcare, whatever it is.
Clients want efficient transactions, appropriate business and practice entities, and complex regulatory problems made simple. Understanding these business objectives has made Kelly a trusted advisor to boards of directors, C-suite management and compliance officers. With so much of health reform revolving around the sharing of health information, Kelly’s experience as co-chair of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security practice group adds an important dimension to clients’ strategic outlook.
When it comes to changes in the healthcare environment, Kelly has truly seen—and done—it all. Before joining Schwabe, he worked for Western Oregon Health Systems Agency (remember HSAs?). He formed and advised IPAs serving the Oregon Health Plan in the 1990s, handled physician practice acquisitions by hospital systems in the years following, and then helped unwind those acquisitions in the post-managed care era. Using his broad experience and perspective, Kelly develops both long- and short-term strategies for client success.
- Formed and advised Accountable Care Organizations participating in the Medicare Shared Savings Program.
- Formed and advised Coordinated Care Organizations serving Oregon’s Medicaid population.
- Formed and advised population health management organizations, health maintenance organizations, hospitals and health systems, and physician groups.
- Counseled both hospitals and physicians in peer review, credentialing and medical staff matters.
Memberships & Awards
- President, Multnomah Bar Association (2005-06)
- Executive Committee, Multnomah Bar Association (1996-2007)
- Chair, Committee on Insurance, Multnomah Bar Association (1995)
- Chair, Committee on Health Information and Privacy, Health Law Section, Oregon State Bar (1998)
- President, Health Law Section, Oregon State Bar (1996-97)
- Chair, Joint Committee on the Medical Profession, Oregon State Bar and Oregon Medical Association (1995-96)
- Executive Committee, Health Law Section, Oregon State Bar (1994-98)
- Chair, Legislative Committee, Health Law Section, Oregon State Bar (1991-93)
- Member, Board of Directors, Essential Health Clinic (2011-14)
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association (1998-present)
- Member, Ethics Committee, Adventist Medical Center (2012-present)
- Member, Ethics Committee, Southwest Washington Medical Center (2002-04)
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (2014-present)
- Member, American Bar Association (2015-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America for Health Care law (2010-Present)
- Junior Olympic Outstanding Male Coach Award, USA Volleyball (2007)
- President’s Membership Service Award, Oregon State Bar (2001)
- Award of Merit, Multnomah Bar Association (2000)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Chicago, Illinois, June 10, 2016
- Salem, Oregon, February 26, 2016
“Transition to Residency: Professionalism, Ethics and Law,” Oregon Health and Sciences University (March 2-3, 2016).
”Effective Representation: What Counsel Need to Know About Data Information Privacy and Security,” Willamette Law School Law Review Symposium (February 26, 2016).
“An Overview of Federal and State Regulatory Domains,” Oregon Medical Association Compliance Workshop (February 24, 2016).
“Data Sharing Challenges: Vestigial Barriers to Meeting ACA Quality and Safety Mandates,” Oregon Medical Association Compliance Workshop (February 24, 2016).
“Risk Assessment,” Oregon Medical Association Compliance Workshop (February 24, 2016).
- July 18, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- American Bar Association Health Law Section, June 13, 2016
- Portland Business Journal, March 25, 2016
- Portland Business Journal, April 10, 2015
- April 9, 2015
- Portland Business Journal, February 3, 2015
- January 7, 2015
- August 8, 2014
- July 24, 2014
- April 14, 2014
- February 18, 2014
- Oregon State Bar, "In Brief," September 2013, October 17, 2013
- September 26, 2013
- September 4, 2013
- Medicine in Oregon, Spring 2013, May 16, 2013
- February 18, 2013
- July 5, 2012
- September 27, 2011
- May 6, 2011
- Pro Bono counsel, Southwest Community Health Center
- Stanford UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (1975)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor degree (1978)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Getting outside: golfing, camping and hiking the Northwest.