Al AuYeung provides intellectual property counsel that is deeply grounded in technology industry realities. With more than a decade of experience as a software engineer and development and product manager, Al understands the need for strategies that both protect innovation and get high-quality, money-making products quickly to market.
Al works with hardware, software, Internet and e-commerce businesses from Fortune 100 multinationals to emerging companies, both domestic and overseas. Clients count on him for seasoned advice on patent prosecution as well as global innovation protection and cross-border technology transactions. In more than 25 years of legal practice, Al has counseled clients on overall IP strategy, portfolio development, freedom to operate, design around options, infringement exposure, validity of third party IP, licensing and enforcement.
Before becoming a lawyer, Al worked in the information technology industry, where he developed and led development of software products for high-end computer systems.
- Prepared the original applications and obtained patent protection for the now ubiquitous Universal Serial Bus (USB) technology.
- Represented a Fortune 100 semiconductor company on thousands of patent-related matters. The technologies include microprocessor, computer/system architecture, memory, system software, virtualization, security, streaming, encoding/decoding, networking and Internet-of-Things.
- Represented a Silicon Valley start-up on patent-related matters relating to field programmable gate arrays and hard and soft IP cores.
- Represented a Silicon Forest start-up on patent-related matters relating to voice-over IP telephony.
- Assisted a Puget Sound start-up with numerous patent-related matters involving games, streaming, multi-media and encoding/decoding technology.
Memberships & Awards
- California, Oregon and Washington Bar Associations Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association Member
- Oregon Patent Law Association Member
- Washington State Patent Lawyers Association Member
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Member
- Oregon Super Lawyers award, Intellectual Property (2006-2017)
- Best Lawyers in America award
Resources & Ideas
- 12 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 12, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
In re Bilski, Panelist, Oregon Patent Law Association, December 2008
Chapter 15 Patent Protection for Domestic and Foreign Investors, Doing Business in Washington, Washington State Bar Association, 2010
- Santa Clara University School of LawJD degree
- Stanford UniversityMaster of Science degree, Management Science & Engineering
- University of California, BerkeleyMaster of Business Administration degree, Finance
- University of PortlandBachelor of Science degree, Engineering Science, magna cum laude
California State Courts
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States District Court, Northern and Central Districts of California
United States District Court, District of Oregon and Western District of Washington
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Outside The Office