Alex I. Poust
Alex Poust has over 20 years of experience representing lenders, secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, receivers and other stakeholders in all aspects of corporate insolvency and restructuring. He helps clients maximize value through negotiated solutions as well as litigation, including reorganization and liquidation proceedings in bankruptcy courts.
Alex also advises manufacturers and service providers in the negotiation of their most critical agreements, including distribution, procurement and inventory management. He has a particular focus on the food processing, forest products, and outdoor and athletic industries.
Alex has been Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation practice group since 2012.
- Represented an offshore Ministry of Finance, as equity owner and lender, in Chapter 11 proceedings for a domestic airplane manufacturer.
- Represented a court-appointed General Receiver in a Washington State court proceeding, including establishing bid and sale procedures for court-approved auction and sale of substantially all of the receivership estate’s assets.
- Counseled a bank lender in litigation and resulting restructuring of a multi-million dollar commercial loan portfolio in Southwest Washington.
- Advised an insolvent Pacific Northwest plastics manufacturing company on the sale of its three divisions to strategic buyers and relations with creditors. The asset sales paid a significant return to creditors and the equity owners, without the costs, delay and uncertainty of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
Memberships & Awards
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Contributing editor to the ABI Primer on Revised Article 9
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Debtor-Creditor Section, Member
- Washington State Bar, Creditor Debtor Rights Section, Member
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2008-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- Oregon College of Art & Craft, Board of Trustees (2002-2011)
- NW Business for Culture & the Arts, Executive Director Search Committee, Chair; Advocacy Committee, Chair (2013-2015)
- University of Oregon School of LawJuris Doctor (1992), Order of the Coif; Oregon Law Review
- Pomona CollegeBachelor of Arts, Government and Public Policy (1985)
- Intern to Member of Parliament (Fall 1983)House of Commons, London, England
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington