Bruce F. Howell
A pioneer in the practice of health law, Bruce Howell leads Schwabe’s Healthcare Industry Group. Bruce was among the founders of the Dallas (Texas) Bar Association's Health Law Section and one of the first Board Certified* Health Lawyers in Texas. Bruce is also one of 10 attorneys nationally to serve as a founding member of the National Board of Health Lawyers.
Vast healthcare industry experience
Bruce counsels clients on a broad array of health law issues, including reimbursement, fraud and abuse, managed care issues, physician practice management issues and the Affordable Care Act of 2010. He handles cases involving genetics, organ transplant technology, laboratory matters, clinical research and healthcare insurance coverage. Bruce also helps providers and businesses comply with and find financial opportunities in connection with the Affordable Care Act.
Exceptional regulatory experience
Bruce has represented companies and individuals in healthcare governmental investigations and counseled clients in structuring transactions to comply with health law regulatory requirements. He has also created compliance programs and consulted on corporate governance matters and tax enforcement matters in nonprofit tax/healthcare work. Bruce is experienced in litigating cases related to healthcare insurance, Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) issues, health law regulatory matters, and the Affordable Care Act, and has also served as an expert witness in these areas.
* “The Supreme Court of Washington does not recognize certification of specialties in the practice of law and that the certificate, award, or recognition is not a requirement to practice law in the state of Washington.”
- Represented more than 35 physicians in a national dissolution of a physicians’ management company.
- Represented several physicians in Office of Inspector General/U.S. Attorney investigations.
- Created and sold interests in ambulatory surgery centers and specialty hospitals for more than 25 physician groups, and litigated related matters.
- Represented neuromonitoring company in litigation and corporate/healthcare regulatory matters.
- Served as expert defense witness in litigation regarding the applicability of Affordable Care Act terms and the collateral source rule.
- Structured a network of providers for a third-party administration company and provided related regulatory advice.
- Defended numerous physicians against the enforcement of non-compete provisions of employment contracts.
- Represented a large hospital chain in private insurance billing and recovery matters.
- Represented psychiatric hospitals nationally in privacy and confidentiality matters.
- Served as regulatory counsel to a chain of primary care clinics.
Memberships & Awards
- National Board of Health Lawyers, Founding Member
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association Medical Research, Biotechnology and Clinical Ethical Issues Interest Group, Former Chair
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Affordable Care Act Task Force Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Health Law Section, Founder and Former Chair
- State Bar of Texas, Health Law Section, Former Chair
- French American Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Southwest Transplant Alliance, Board of Directors, Former Vice Chair; Governance Committee, Chair
- University of North Texas School of Medicine, Institutional Review Board, Former Member
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, University of North Texas, University of Texas at Dallas, Former Adjunct Professor
- American Bar Association publication, The Health Lawyer, Vice Chair, Editorial Board; appointed Chair for 2016-2017
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Health Law Exam Commission, Former Member
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- All Classical Public Media, Inc. (WQAC 89.9), Board of Directors, Former President
- The Arlington Club, Board Member
- The Renaissance Weekends, Hosted by Ambassador and Mrs. Phillip Lader, Invitee
- DePaul Treatment Centers, Member, Creative Committee
- Oregon Super Lawyers award (2013-2017)
- Texas Super Lawyers award (2007-2012)
- Nightingale's Health Care News, Outstanding Physician Practice Lawyer award (2004)
- Best Lawyers in America award, Health Law (2006-2017)
- Best Lawyers in Texas award, Health Law (2010-2012)
- Best Lawyers in Oregon award (2013-2017)
Resources & Ideas
- The Washington Post, July 6, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- Schwabe’s Healthcare Industry Group Leader Appointed as a Founding Member of the National Board of Health LawyersFebruary 24, 2017
- Crosscut, December 15, 2016
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- July 31, 2014
- June 9, 2014
- November 15, 2013
- September 13, 2013
- July 1, 2013
- November 12, 2012
- August 2, 2012
- April 9, 2012
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- April 20, 2017
- Portland Business AllianceSentinel Hotel, 614 SW 11th Ave., Third Floor, February 15, 2017
- January 27, 2017
- Crosscut, July 7, 2017
- Seattle Times, March 8, 2017
- American Bar AssociationThe Health Lawyer, April 1, 2016
- June 25, 2015
- American Bar AssociationThe Health Lawyer, March 4, 2015
- Matters of Conscience (Recent Religious Challenges to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)February 19, 2013
- Willamette University College of Law, Adjunct Professor, Health Law and the Affordable Care Act
- Board of Directors, All Classical Public Media Inc. Portland, Chair
- DePaul Treatment Centers, Member
- University of MichiganBachelor of Arts degree (1967)
- University of Michigan Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (1974)
- University of North TexasMaster of Science degree, Statistical Genetics (2002)
Oregon State Courts
Texas State Courts
New York State Courts
Washington State Courts
Texas Board of Legal Specialization – Board Certified, Health Law
United States District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Second, Fifth, and Ninth Circuits
United States Supreme Court
Outside The Office