Claire L. Rootjes
Claire Rootjes helps businesses throughout Washington’s diverse industries enforce contracts and litigate business disputes. Representing the region’s financial, real estate and maritime sectors, her clients range from national financial institutions to small single-owner businesses. Claire has a particular focus on defending lender liability, consumer protection and class action litigation.
Claire is a responsive, efficient and detail-oriented practitioner who approaches each matter as unique—working collaboratively with clients and interested parties to arrive at a strategy best suited for each client’s needs. Whether vigorously defending a bank in a lender liability suit, assisting a large shipbuilder in evaluating insurance coverage, or appointing a receiver to maximize the value of a struggling construction project, Claire will tailor her approach to reach your desired outcome in a cost-efficient manner.
- Secured early dismissal of a $1 billion class action suit against surety bondholders.
- Defended national financial institution in complex lender liability litigation brought by condominium developer. During the litigation, identified and developed counterclaims to increase leverage and arrive at an optimal settlement.
- Successfully defended insurance carriers against bad faith litigation arising from faulty workmanship in vessel construction.
- Defended national financial institution in multi-million dollar securities litigation arising out of sales of Madoff-managed securities.
- Secured dismissal of TILA and RESPA claims against loan servicer on summary judgment, reconsideration, and appeal.
- Quickly secured a multi-million dollar judgment against loan guarantors and assisted lender with post-judgment collection and settlement efforts, including representation of the lender in bankruptcy proceedings.
Memberships & Awards
Washington Rising Stars List, Business Litigation (2013-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- Seattle Met, December 1, 2016
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- November 21, 2012
- July 19, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt 1420 5th Ave., Suite 3400 Seattle, WA 98101, January 27, 2017
- NW Lawyer, May 21, 2013
- Cascade Symphony Orchestra, Board member and Secretary
- Editor and Associate Editor, De Novo, Washington Young Lawyer Division's publication, 2010-2012
- Volunteer Advocates for Immigrant Justice, 2010-2012
- Azusa Pacific UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, summa cum laude (2005)
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2009)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Enjoying all the Pacific Northwest has to offer, including camping, backpacking, hiking, skiing and running.