Dennis A. Ostgard
An accomplished real estate lawyer, Dennis Ostgard helps get industrial, residential and mixed-use projects built. Dennis takes a personal interest in his projects. His very first project as a young lawyer was the Seattle Garden Center (now Beecher’s Handmade Cheese) in the Pike Place Market, and he still walks by the site every time he goes to the market to see how it is doing.
Counsel from the ground up
Dennis assists developers in industrial, residential and mixed-use projects with site acquisition and development, easements, financing and leasing. He establishes the framework for residential communities, including covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) and condominium documents.
Facilitating project financing
Dennis represents lenders and borrowers in commercial loan transactions and regularly issues legal opinions regarding the enforceability of loan documents. He serves on Schwabe’s Legal Opinions Committee, as well as a Washington State Bar committee that provides guidance to lawyers in issuing legal opinions.
Strengthening the region’s ports
Dennis works with ports on industrial projects, including ground leases for large and complex projects. He understands what lenders require to provide project financing on leased land. A dedicated partner, Dennis relishes his role in helping ports achieve their objectives of generating employment and revenues from rents, dockage, wharfage, take-or-pay water supply contracts, and other port fees and charges.
Outside general counsel to business clients
Dennis enjoys being a trusted legal advisor to business clients, helping them plan for the future and solve problems as they arise. One such client is Auto Warehousing Co., which he has assisted for many years as it expands its business operations across the United States and into Canada.
Residential and mixed-use projects
- Numerous apartment building acquisitions, dispositions and financing.
- Multiple mixed-use projects in downtown Bellevue.
- Numerous multi-phase residential subdivisions.
- Mixed-use condominium tower in downtown Bellevue.
- Residential condominiums in Sammamish and Issaquah.
- Waterfront condominium on the shores of Lake Washington.
- Methanol plant at the Port of Kalama, estimated to cost in excess of $1 billion.
- Major renovation and expansion of a grain terminal at the Port of Kalama.
- State-of-the-art glass bottle manufacturing plant at the Port of Kalama.
- Acquisition of former Alcoa site for Port of Vancouver.
- Auto processing facilities at various ports in Washington, Oregon, California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Ontario, etc.
- Rail infrastructure project at the Port of Richmond, California.
- Industrial track agreements with BNSF Railway.
- Various industrial office and warehouse leases.
- Various aquatic lands leases.
Other commercial projects
- Numerous big-box retail leases in 13 Western states.
- Numerous fitness center leases in Washington State.
- Medical office leasing in downtown Seattle.
Memberships & Awards
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, Pre-eminent Rating
- Washington Super Lawyers (2007-2016)
- Washington Super Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers (2009, 2010, 2012)
- Washington Super Lawyers, Top 40 Real Estate Lawyers (2008-2009)
- Best Lawyers in America award, Real Estate (2015)
Resources & Ideas
- August 19, 2016
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- August 24, 2012
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Insurance and Risk Management Strategies for Ports, WPPA Annual Meeting, December 6, 2011
Risk Management, Panel Discussion and Executive Training, WPPA, July 15, 2011
Insurance & Contractual Risk Allocation, In-Housing Training for Schwabe Business Lawyers, April 25, 2011
Contracting for Insurance, All-Firm In-Housing Training, April 1, 2011
- Washington State Bar Association, Legal Opinions Committee, Member
- Calvin Presbyterian Church, Clerk of Session (2007-2014)
- Puget Sound Presbytery, Permanent Judicial Commission
- Harvard Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (1978)
- Stanford UniversityBachelor of Science degree, with honors and distinction (1975)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts