Jeff Hern assists companies in the manufacturing, food and beverage, and natural resources industries in litigation and regulatory matters.
With his litigation practice, Jeff represents companies in multi-district litigation, federal, and state court proceedings from early alternative dispute resolution through trial. Jeff frequently defends pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, automotive manufacturers, food and beverage companies, and retail outlets in product liability, toxic tort (asbestos), and other personal injury litigation. In addition, he has significant experience representing companies in water rights adjudications and commercial disputes.
Jeff’s practice also focuses on advising food and beverage companies on various regulatory matters. He provides legal advice on product labeling, licensing requirements, food safety protocols, distribution agreements, market withdrawals or recalls, and enforcement proceedings. Jeff works effectively with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB), Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) and other agencies, to serve the needs of food manufacturers and processors, distilleries, wineries, breweries, restaurants, grocery stores, and other retail outlets.
- Represented an automotive manufacturer that obtained a defense verdict at trial in wrongful death product liability litigation.
- Won summary judgment motion on the application of Oregon’s non-economic damages cap to a product liability helicopter crash case arising out of a workplace accident.
- Represented multiple national pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in multi-district litigation, federal, and state court proceedings.
- Advised food and beverage companies on numerous product labeling issues, including compliance with FDA regulations, USDA organic rules, genetically modified organism (GMO) guidance documents, and California’s Proposition 65, as well as on market withdrawals and recalls.
- Defended food and beverage companies in litigation and enforcement proceedings related to false advertising, labeling, and food-contamination claims.
- Assisted with and secured liquor licenses from the TTB, OLCC and other agencies for numerous distilleries, breweries, wineries, restaurants, hotels, restaurants and other retail outlets.
- Represented an energy company in Oregon water rights adjudication proceedings.
Memberships & Awards
• Portland Business Alliance, "Leadership Portland" Program, graduate (2013-2014)
• International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy, graduate (2009)
• American Bar Association, Food & Dietary Supplement committee (2015-2016)
• Northwest Food Processors Association (2014-2016)
• National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals (2008-2016)
• Defense Research Institute (2007-2016)
• Oregon State Bar Business Litigation Section (2004-2016)
• Multnomah Bar Association, Service to the Public committee (2004-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- September 15, 2011
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Playworks Pacific Northwest, Board of Directors
- Denison UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, Economics (1998)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude, Certificate in Business Law Concentration (2004)
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
Outside The Office
- Spending time with wife, Lindsey, daughter, Ellisyn, and expected sibling.