Jennifer E. Franks, Ph.D.
Jennifer Franks helps healthcare providers, insurers and laboratories navigate the myriad of federal and state regulations facing the healthcare sector. She provides experienced counsel in the areas of fraud and abuse regulation (Stark, Anti-Kickback), insurance requirements, provider contracting, corporate governance, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, privacy and data security. Jennifer also guides clients through state laws regulating the corporate practice of medicine, physician fee splitting, and concierge or retainer medical practices.
Before becoming a lawyer, Jennifer was a molecular biologist and biochemist, studying gene regulation (transcription initiation) in corn, fruit flies and mammalian cells at the University of Oregon, the University of California at San Diego and Oregon Health & Sciences University.
- Assists with regulatory compliance issues related to licensure of a residential treatment facility in Washington.
- Advises healthcare payers on provider contracts.
- Helps practitioners comply with a wide range of licensure laws and regulations, as applied to individuals, such as nurses, and facilities, such as ambulatory surgical centers, in Oregon and Washington.
- Advises clients on Medicare compliance.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Health Law Section, Executive Committee, Member (2012-Present), Committee Chair (2015)
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Clinical Integration, the Alignment of Incentives, and CMS Quality-Based Payment Programs, presented to the Portland Medical Community Managers, January 8, 2015
Clinical Integration, the Alignment of Incentives, and CMS Quality-Based Payment Programs, July 15, 2014
Ethics Hour: Recent Cases and Ethics Opinions of Note, June 19, 2014.
Clinical Integration, Health Care Information, and the Alignment of Incentives, May 14, 2014
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor, cum laude (2009)
- University of California, San DiegoPh.D., Biology (2001)
- University of OregonRobert D. Clark Honors College, Bachelor of Arts (1995)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts