Joanna Lee helps organizations develop and implement intellectual property strategies, manage risk wisely, and structure their contractual relationships and governance frameworks to support their strategic goals. Joanna is a lawyer by training but a geek at heart, with a knack for translating among legalese, business objectives, and technospeak.
Joanna assists businesses with commercial and intellectual property transactions and litigation, as well as data security and privacy risk management issues. Her intellectual property work includes patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret protection, licensing, transfers and litigation. In the Internet space, she helps clients navigate laws governing e-commerce, social media, contests, sweepstakes and promotions, and privacy and data security issues. Finally, Joanna advises on domestic and international commercial transactions, joint ventures and collaboration agreements, and on corporate structuring and governance.
Joanna assists technology standards development organizations with their intellectual property matters including Intellectual Property Rights policies, collaborative and open source development projects, liaison relationships, certification and testing programs and tools, and licensing transactions.
Joanna counsels clients of all sizes and stages of growth, from pre-revenue start-ups to mature public companies. She works with a range of industries and technologies including software, electronics, advanced manufacturing, hospitality, healthcare, food and beverage, clean tech, and consumer products.
Joanna is a Certified Information Privacy Professional-US through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar, Technology Law Section, Executive Committee (2012-2013)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
Resources & Ideas
- December 22, 2015
- European Court of Justice Judgment Finds U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework Inadequate for Protecting DataOctober 8, 2015
- August 7, 2015
- Portland Business Journal, April 15, 2015
Co-author, “European Court of Justice Judgment Finds U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework Inadequate for Protecting Data”
October 8, 2015
Panelist, “Getting Oregon’s Cybersecurity House in Order,” Cybersecurity: Technology and the Law Conference, Law Seminars International
August 14, 2015
“Ethical Obligations Related to Cybersecurity and Use of Technology in Law Practice: What Every Attorney Needs to Know,” Oregon State Bar Technology Law Section CLE
Moderator, “New Challenges in Data Security—Are You Prepared?” Technology Association of Oregon
June 5, 2013
Co-author, “Keep Your Online Sweepstakes and Contests on the Right Side of the Law,” Advertising Age
March 7, 2011
“Positioning Your Company for Investors,” Portland Fashion Synergy September Mixer
- Bradley Angle, Chair of Board of Directors (2015-2015), Member of Board of Directors (2012-2016)
- Technology Association of Oregon, Advocacy Committee, Technology and Intellectual Property Committee (2012-2013)
- Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN), Past member of Entrepreneur Services Committee, Pubtalk Committee, OEN Awards Nominating Committee, and Venture Northwest Recruitment Committee
- Carnegie Mellon UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Economics; Public Policy & Management (2003)
- Cornell Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (2006)
Oregon State Courts