Joseph A. Stockton
Joe Stockton is a development attorney practicing in all areas of real estate, construction and EB-5 law. He works with developers, owners, investors, financial institutions, general contractors and architects at every stage of the development process.
Whether negotiating a purchase and sale agreement, securing capital, drafting leases, or resolving disputes along the way, Joe works tirelessly to see a project to fruition. He prides himself on being a trusted legal advisor throughout the life cycle of client projects. Joe’s additional experience studying Chinese and working throughout Asia provides an immediate value add to his EB-5 and international clients.
Joe’s passion for real estate development transcends the practice of law, as he regularly volunteers with industry organizations and recently spent a year earning his professional certificate in commercial real estate through the University of Washington School of Professional Continuing Education. Because of his deep roots in the development industry, Joe creates smart solutions in the context of the big picture.
- Led negotiation of a $23M construction loan for a mixed-use project in Seattle.
- Closed $40M debt/equity financing with an institutional partner involving an IRC 1031 tax deferred exchange.
- Argued and obtained a bench ruling on summary judgment to enforce a $12M purchase and sale agreement for property in Bellevue, Washington.
- Acted as local counsel to issue legal opinion on enforceability of a $156M office park transaction.
- Obtained judgment dismissing substantial mechanics liens placed on subdivision development.
Memberships & Awards
- NAIOP, Member (National Association of Industrial and Office Properties)
- Community Enhancement Committee, Member
- Developing Leaders Committee, Member
- Involved with FIABCI (Federation of International Real Estate)
- Washington Rising Stars List, Construction Litigation (2014-2017)
Resources & Ideas
- 12 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 12, 2017
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- July 8, 2014
- October 3, 2017
- Restrictions on incentives make transferable development rights from the city of Seattle and King County under used.Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon, February 23, 2017
- Daily Journal of Commerce, August 20, 2015
- Association for General Contractors, member since 2012
- NAIOP, National Commercial Real Estate Development Association, member since 2013; Community Enhancement Committee member
- University of WashingtonCertificate in Commercial Real Estate (2015)
- University of Washington School of LawJuris Doctor degree (2012)
- University of WashingtonBachelor of Arts, magna cum laude (2008)
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Climbing mountains with my wife in the upper northwest, or shucking oysters along Puget Sound.