With experience in both litigation and transactional settings and a background in computer science, Jonathan Ward helps companies and individuals in the technology sector secure valuable IP rights for their innovations. He specializes in preparing and prosecuting patent applications directed to hardware and software innovations, including embedded systems and unmanned aerial vehicles.
Jonathan’s broad legal background includes litigating insurance defense cases with a general practice firm, handling both patent prosecution and IP litigation with a regional IP boutique firm in Portland, and negotiating technology-related contracts and advising on IP and procurement-related issues on behalf of the State of Oregon. Since 2014, Jonathan has devoted his practice to successfully securing patent and trademark protection for a variety of clients of varying sizes. His varied experience helps him recognize and anticipate issues during prosecution that could arise down the road.
Before becoming a lawyer, Jonathan worked as a network administrator and software developer for various organizations. His development work included creating front-end applications that interfaced with database systems using both web and office application platforms.
A list of recently issued patents Jonathan drafted and secured:
- US 9,644,873, “Method and Apparatus for Refrigeration System Energy Signature Capture.”
- US 9,636,024, “Systems and Methods for Estimating Hemodynamic Parameters from a Physiological Curve Image.”
- US 9,609,951, “Foam Seat Cushions.”
- US 9,593,626, “Radial Engine Piston-Crankshaft Interfaces.”
- US 9,503,846, “Embedded Location Tracking Systems for Sports Equipment.”
- US 9,278,042, “Walking Rehabilitation Assistance Devices.”
- US D762,887, “Flexible Fabric Light Array.”
Memberships & Awards
- Multnomah Bar Association, Former Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property Section and Technology Law Section, Member
Resources & Ideas
- Portland Chamber Orchestra, Board of Directors
- Marquette University Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (2001)
- University of California, RiversideBachelor of Science degree, Computer Science (1997)
Oregon State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Flying—or trying not to crash!—one of my radio controlled helicopters.