Larry A. Costich
Larry Costich is a real estate transactional attorney with a strong background in land use and natural resource law. He helps real estate and development clients throughout the Northwest resolve problems and move ahead with projects, ranging from major commercial and industrial developments to natural resource use and preservation. In addition, he represents commercial, agricultural and industrial clients, developers and port districts in real estate transactions, financing, permitting, land use, environmental and natural resource issues, and dispute resolution. Larry has also assisted clients on multi-family developments, preparing declarations of restrictive covenants and advising association governance. In all aspects of his practice, Larry is committed to finding practical solutions that achieve client objectives.
An engineer turned lawyer
Larry’s pragmatic counsel is rooted in years of hands-on engineering and design experience. Before practicing law, he worked for 16 years as a civil and environmental consulting engineer—managing property restoration and development, site assessments, due diligence investigations and environmental compliance. Larry’s deep technical experience in property development, land use, design, construction, compliance, and finance and resource management helps him understand his clients’ businesses and translate their problems into workable solutions.
Commercial & Industrial Real Estate
- Assists commercial landowners and tenants with office and medical facility leases.
- Provides guidance to a Washington port district for the development of a deep-water bulk grain export terminal.
- Represents industrial landowners in the acquisition of hundreds of acres of property for industrial park development, preparation of restrictive covenant and easements, and development of lease agreements.
- Works with clients in development and leasing in the hospitality sector, including hotels, restaurants, brewpubs and wineries.
- Represents farmers in the protection of fertile lands from local government actions attempting to impose flood-control measures on farmland.
- Successfully challenged a suit by timber landowners to regulatory restrictions to protect transferable development rights.
- Represented a timber company, county fire district and private property owners in lifting access restrictions imposed by U.S. Forest Service.
- Prepared declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions for condominium and homeowner associations.
- Successfully defended a community association against a challenge to its authority under its governing documents to lease commercial businesses for the benefit of community members (Roats v. Blakely Island Maintenance Commission, Inc.).
Memberships & Awards
- American Bar Association, Trusts & Real Estate and Environment, Energy & Resource Sections, Member
- King County Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- Environmental and Water Resource Institute Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
- Government Affairs Committee (Seattle Section), Former Chair
- Architects and Engineers Legislative Council Washington, Former Chairman
- Registered Professional Engineer, Washington and Virginia
Resources & Ideas
- December 13, 2012
- March 16, 2012
- Persian Gulf War Veteran, U.S. Army (1985-1991)
- Heartbeat Serving Wounded Warriors, Program Co-chair Volunteer for fundraising event
- Clarkson UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Civil & Environmental Engineering (1985)
- Seattle University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2001)
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Outside The Office
- All things outdoors—skiing, hiking, camping and boating.