Lisa E. Schaures
Lisa Schaures guides businesses, social ventures and nonprofits in the Pacific Northwest through everyday general counsel matters, quandaries and major life cycle events. In more than 10 years of practice, she has helped clients through starting up, governance structuring, purchases, mergers, conversions, conflicts of interests, acquiring tax exempt status, complex tax concerns, deferred compensation strategies, contract negotiations and expansion growing pains.
Lisa’s leadership and work with different practice areas allows her to pull together the right team to bring major transactions and negotiations over the finish line with a focus on her client’s important goals and relationships. As an everyday partner with growing businesses and nonprofits, she handles contract, governance, conflict of interest, tax, expansion and other general counsel matters effectively and with sensitivity to each client’s uniqueness.
- Represented a strategic consulting business in the sale and integration into larger service business; closed sale.
- Advised the board of directors of a large healthcare organization on governance, fiduciary, excess benefit transaction and conflict of interest issues.
- Provided critical guidance to a national nonprofit’s Board of Directors regarding potential conflicts of interests and excess benefit transactions between nonprofit and affiliates of board members.
- Designed, drafted and facilitated implementation of multiple executive deferred compensation plans.
- Counseled a healthcare startup on professional services agreements, governance and investment structure.
- Counseled a startup cannabis industry entrepreneur on angel investment structure and negotiations; closed investment.
Memberships & Awards
- Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section and Taxation Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Taxation Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Business Law Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Corporate Counsel Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Seattle Tax Group (2015 - Present)
- Member, Washington Women in Tax (2014-Present)
- Washington Rising Stars List, Nonprofit Organizations (2013-2016)
- Washington State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Thomas Neville Pro Bono Award (2010)
Resources & Ideas
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- October 30, 2015
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“Public Charities – IRS Compliance Issues,” presenter, Nonprofit Law Institute at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (October 28, 2016)
“Transactional Community of Practice Seminar on M&A ,” co-presenter, Seattle University School of Law (September 7, 2016)
“Engaging Your Board in Planned Giving,” panelist, Planned Giving Day (May 18, 2016)
“Not-for-Profit Board Members - Roles, Responsibilities and Legal Issues," presenter, Basics for New Not-for-Profit Board Members seminar (February 24, 2016)
“Best Practices when Serving on a Nonprofit Board,” presenter, Laird Norton University (October 20, 2015)
"Not-for-Profit Board Members - Roles, Responsibilities and Legal Issues," presenter, Basics for New Not-for-Profit Board Members seminar (May 27, 2015)
"Deferred Compensation and Section 409A," presenter, Seattle Certified Public Accountant Tax Roundtable (March 20, 2015)
"Strategic Planning for Women Business Owners," co-presenter, Women Presidents' Organization (March 10, 2015)
Panel Discussion of Endowments, panelist, Washington Planned Giving Council (March 9, 2015)
"Not-for-Profit Board Members - Roles, Responsibilities and Legal Issues," presenter, Basics for New Not-for-Profit Board Members seminar (January 27, 2015)
"Avoiding Personal Liability: Advice for Owners and Managers of Privately Held Businesses," presenter, Stokes Law Brief (December 9, 2014)
"Executive Compensation and IRC 409A Issues," co-presenter, Seattle Tax Group (November 17, 2014)
"Board Member Basics," presenter, Washington Women in Tax (October 8, 2014)
"Best Practices for Nonprofit Board Members," panelist, Bainbridge Community Foundation (September 30, 2014)
"Social Purpose and Benefit Corporations: What They are and What They Mean for the Nonprofit, Estate and Business Sectors," presenter, Seattle Estate Planning Council (September 17, 2014)
"Cradle to Grave - An Overview of Legal and Practical Aspects of Representing Businesses," panelist, Young Lawyers Forum, ABA Section of Taxation (May 9, 2014)
"Best Practices for Nonprofit Board Members," panelist, Women In Philanthropy (March 20, 2014)
"Best Practice for Nonprofit Board Members," panelist, Women in Philanthropy (February 6, 2014)
"Succession Planning for Owners of Closely Held Businesses," co-chair, Washington State Bar Association RPPT Fall Probate and Trust Seminar (December 2013)
"Board Member Basics," speaker, Smart Women's Lunch Series (September 18, 2013)
"Legislation with Social Purpose - Examining Regulations on International Activities and Social Purpose Corporations in the Context of Today's Economy," speaker, presented by Moss Adams (March 12, 2013)
"Key Intellectual Property Terms in Operating Agreements," speaker, presented by KCBA IP Section (March 7, 2013)
"Business Leaders Panel Discussion: Business Tips for Smart Entrepreneurs," speaker, presented by Pacific Northwest Women in Business (February 13, 2013)
"Social Purpose and Benefit Corporations: What Are They and What Do They Mean for the Nonprofit Sector?" speaker, Advanced Issues in the Law of Nonprofit Organizations, presented by WSBA (January 15, 2013)
"Nonqualified Deferred Compensation for Closely Held Businesses," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs (July 28, 2014)
"Family Business Succession Planning," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs (June 18, 2014)
"Sweat Equity and Entity Choices," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs (May 28, 2014)
"Prevent Private Foundation Self-Dealing," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs(February 19, 2014)
"Fulfilling Your Heart's Desire: Basic Steps to Successful Service on a Charity Board," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs (February 12, 2014)
"Joining a Charity Board Can Fulfill Your Heart's Desire - or Crush It," author, blog post on Stokes Law Briefs (February 3, 2014)
"Self-Dealing: Classic Trouble for Private Foundations," author, King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (November 2013)
Member, Fred Hutch Planned Giving Advisory Committee (2016-Present)
Member, InvestED Heritage Advisory Council (2016-Present)
Board of Directors, Washington Planned Giving Council (2016-Present)
- Board of Directors, YWCA of Seattle-King-Snohomish (2015-Present)
- Member, Washington Planned Giving Council (2014-Present)
- Member, Seattle Philanthropic Advisors Network (2012-Present)
- Counsel, Nonprofit Legal Assistance Clinic, King County Bar Association (2010-Present)
- Director, InvestED (2009-2015)
- Director, Page Ahead Children's Literacy Program (2010-2013)
- Counsel, Business Assistance Panel, King County Bar Association (2009-2011)
- Member, Legal Services for the Homeless Committee, King County Bar Association (2006 - 2011)
- University of OregonJuris Doctor (2005)
- University of Washington School of LawMaster of Laws in Taxation (2006)
- Washington State UniversityBachelor of Arts (2000)
Washington State Courts
Oregon State Courts
Outside The Office
- Running, hiking, skiing and growing camellia sinensis.