Michael A. Cofield
Mike Cofield has helped technology businesses, including several innovative Fortune 500 companies in the Silicon Forest, Silicon Valley, Seattle and other technology hubs across the nation, prepare and file both U.S. patent applications and Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications. Mike is also experienced in helping new businesses manage their patent portfolios, from portfolio inception to acquisition.
Experienced counsel for complex technology
Mike has been practicing patent and trademark prosecution for more than 10 years. His experience includes prosecution of patent applications in fields such as cloud computing, networking, computer architecture, operating system software, video encoding, social networking applications, connected vehicle service software, security software, resistive memory and electro-mechanical technologies. Prior to his career in law, Mike worked as a technical marketing engineer in Intel's motherboard group.
Mike joined Schwabe as part of the group from Stolowitz Ford Cowger LLP, the boutique intellectual property firm that merged with Schwabe in 2015.
Patents and publications
- 8,050,817 (originally assigned to Airbiquity, Inc.)
- 7,937,531 (originally assigned to Cisco Technology, Inc.)
- 8,095,747 (originally assigned to Cypress Semiconductor Corp.)
- 8,121,197 (originally assigned to Elemental Technologies, Inc.)
- 9,075,629 (originally assigned to Microsoft Corp.)
- 2015/0193544 (originally assigned to Salesforce.com, Inc.)
- 9,124,899 (originally assigned to Sharp Laboratories of America)
- 8,610,099 (originally assigned to Unity Semiconductor Corporation)
- 8,180,852 (originally assigned to Social Concepts, Inc.)
Memberships & Awards
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Oregon Patent Law Association, Member
Resources & Ideas
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark CollegeJuris Doctor degree (2005)
- Santa Clara UniversityBachelor of Science degree, Electrical Engineering
Oregon State Courts
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Outside The Office
- Fishing adventures throughout the world, including New Zealand, Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii and right here in Oregon, on the middle Rogue River!