Nika F. Aldrich
Nika Aldrich helps clients protect complex intellectual property in high-stakes litigation. He has represented technology and health care companies in numerous patent disputes involving medical devices, MEMS, computer hardware, computer software, computer algorithms and pharmaceuticals. Nika has also handled patent disputes for clients in the apparel and food technology industries.
In addition to his patent litigation work, Nika represents companies in trademark, copyright, misappropriation, UDRP and "hot news" First Amendment cases in federal and state courts, and before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He also has experience in commercial litigation on behalf of foreign sovereigns, financial services companies, and bankruptcy debtors and creditors.
Before becoming a lawyer, Nika gained hands-on experience working in the digital sciences as a recording industry consultant. He has an extensive background in digital signal processing and other areas of recording arts technology, has published a textbook on digital audio engineering, and has been cited in Forbes and other publications for his work in digital rights management.
Nika is particularly attuned to the policy issues related to intellectual property. He previously worked at the U.N. World Intellectual Property Organization, where he studied the intersection of the U.N. Millennium Goals with international intellectual property systems.
- Handled multiple patent cases for a medical device manufacturer involving transducers, medical monitor design and intravascular guide wire design.
- Represented a clothing manufacturer in litigation regarding design and utility patents covering high performance textiles.
- Brought litigation on behalf of a snack food company against a competitor regarding patented formulation for snack products.
- Represented a securities exchange in copyright and misappropriation lawsuit regarding the right to list options on financial indexes.
- Obtained favorable settlements for a large pharmaceutical company in trademark, trade dress, and anti-counterfeiting cases.
- Provided pro bono legal services to a death row inmate, tenants in housing disputes, parties in divorces and students in lawsuits against schools.
- Serves as outside general counsel to the Audio Engineering Society.
Memberships & Awards
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member, Technology Section Committee
- Hon. William C. Conner Inn of Court (2013-2015)
- Super Lawyer “Rising Star - New York Metro” (Intellectual Property), 2014 and 2015
- “Toastmaster of the Year” award for public speaking
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“Review of 2016 Patent Law Cases At The Supreme Court,” Certified Patent Valuation Analysts
July 11, 2016
“The Important But Often Overlooked Role of Design Patents”
March 29, 2015
“Wonderland: The World Under Alice,” Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Lawyer’s Association
March 9, 2015
- August 3, 2016
- March 14, 2016
- Inside CounselMarch 4, 2016
- Portland Business Journal, February 25, 2016
- January 19, 2016
- Law 360, September 30, 2015
- September 21, 2015
"Recent Supreme Court Cases May Require More Deference in Review of Obviousness Cases," 56 IDEA 1, 1 (December 2015)
"Another Arrow in the Quiver for Patent Defendants — Federal Circuit Approves Broad Claim Construction Protocol for Inter Partes Reviews," 22 INTELL. Prop. Today, No. 3, at 10 (March 2015)
"Overbroad Patent Claims May Be Challenged Earlier in Case," Law360 (January 6, 2015)
"Recent Supreme Court Decision Results in Resolution of Patent Eligibility Issues Early in Cases," 21 Westlaw J. INTELL. Prop., No. 15, at 3 (2014)
"Federal Circuit Enforces Written Description Requirement Even for Negative Limitations and Narrower Claims," Drug Discovery News, Vol. 10 No. 1 (January 2014)
"The Increased Value of Invalidity Opinions After the Federal Circuit's Ruling in Commil USA v. Cisco Systems," 20 Westlaw J. INTELL. Prop., No. 10, at 3 (2013)
"A System of Logo-Based Disclosure of DRM On Download Products," 8 J. High Tech. L. 57 (2008)
"An Exploration of Rights Management Technologies Used in the Music Industry," B.C. INTELL. Prop. & Tech. Forum, 983 (2007)
"Unplugged: The Music Industry's Approach to Rolling Contracts on Music CDs," 6 Chi.-Kent J. INTELL. Prop. 280 (2007)
Digital Audio Explained; For the Audio Engineer, Sweetwater Press (2004)
"Exploring Dither in Floating Point Systems," Sweetwater Sound (2005)
"Digital Distortion in CD's and DVD's: The Consequences of Traditional Digital Peak Meters," Trillium Lane Labs (2003)
- Lewis & Clark School of Law, Adjunct Professor, patent law and policy
- Purdue UniversityBachelor of Arts degree (2004)
- University of WashingtonJuris Doctor degree (2007)
Oregon State Courts
New York State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
United States District Court for the District of Oregon
United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Running, including the New York City Marathon.