Sandra T. Johnson
Sandy Johnson helps clients navigate state and federal health care law as applied in transactional, operational, compliance, and other matters. She brings a unique perspective to her health care law practice, having served as CEO of a hospital system prior to her legal career.
Sandy advises hospitals and health systems, physicians and group practices, clinical laboratories, long-term care providers, pharmaceutical manufacturers and durable medical equipment manufacturers/distributors, retail pharmacies, rural health centers, federally qualified health centers, and other health care providers and suppliers on a broad range of issues in the context of governance, operational compliance, and corporate transactions. As a result of having served as in-house general counsel to two large hospital systems, she understands what providers need from their counsel.
- Board matters, including Board duties, conflicts of interest, nonprofit concerns, intermediate sanctions, open meetings, and sunshine laws.
- Medical staff matters, including credentialing, peer review, and risk management.
- Affiliations of all types, including co-management arrangements, network formation, and combinations among hospitals, physicians, and other providers.
- Compliance and risk management, including QA/QI, clinical, billing and reimbursement, cost reporting, and internal audits.
- Fraud and abuse and other healthcare laws, including the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Internal and external investigations, including self-reporting.
- Medicare, Medicaid, and other public and private payer reimbursement issues.
- Standard and nonstandard contracts, including vendor and supplier relationships.
- Hospital and Professional Licensing and Accreditation, including survey and certification.
Memberships & Awards
- American Health Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Georgia, Health Law Section
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association, Health Law Section
Resources & Ideas
- Georgia State University College of LawJuris Doctor (1999)
- St. Joseph's CollegeBachelor of Science (1995)
Georgia State Courts
Georgia Supreme Court
Tennessee State Courts
United States Court of Appeals
United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
Washington State Courts
Outside The Office
- Home with the '52!