Sara C. Cotton
Sara is an experienced commercial litigator known for obtaining results in and out of the courtroom. She represents a wide variety of clients from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies in disputes involving contracts, environmental issues, partnership and landlord/tenant law. She has taken and defended over 75 depositions, argued cases to the Court of Appeals, briefed and argued dispositive motions, arbitrated and mediated cases, and represented clients in state and federal trials throughout Oregon.
- Won a $2 million+ verdict in a week-long jury trial against Georgia Pacific seeking to collect on amounts due and owing to Georgia Pacific for services rendered (Cascade Pacific v. Georgia Pacific).
- Successfully defended a transloading oil facility against claims by environmental groups that the facility lacked the proper permit to continue operations. The environmental groups sought to shut the facility down and force it to pay a multi-million-dollar damages award. Following a four-day bench trial, the judge ruled in favor of the facility and denied the environmental groups’ request for relief. (NEDC et al. v. Cascade Kelly).
- Represented an artist seeking damages relating to the termination of agency agreement with her art agent. Following a four-day arbitration, the arbitrator returned a verdict in favor of the artist for the full amount of damages requested (Mink v. Fondo).
Memberships & Awards
- Pittock Mansion, Board Member (2010-2013)
- SMART (Start Making a Reader Today), Member
- CASA (court appointed special advocate) (2004-2008)
Oregon Rising Stars List, Business Litigation (2012-2016)
Resources & Ideas
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- August 1, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree, cum laude (2008)
- University of OregonBachelor of Arts degree (2001)
Oregon State Courts