Steven J. Prewitt
Steven Prewitt guides companies and research institutions through the technology development, protection, commercialization and enforcement life cycle to maximize the value of their intellectual property. Having drafted and prosecuted over 500 utility and design patent applications in more than 17 years of practice, Steven has a deep understanding of the value of technology as a critical business asset, and what it takes to effectively protect that asset.
A passion for how things work
Steven loves technology. From the internal systems of a power tool, to the thermodynamics of a specialized fabric, to the medical condition improved by a particular device, he has always been fascinated by how things work. This keen interest has fueled his diverse technical background, which includes mechanical devices, biotechnology, medical devices and software technology, to name a few. Steven’s broad technical base enables him to understand his clients’ innovations and develop strong patent protection strategies.
A hands-on partner
Steven is known for “rolling up his sleeves” and becoming part of his clients’ teams. He relishes the opportunity to advise at the infancy of product development and to help direct the growth and maturation of a product to a successful commercial result. Steven’s clients value him for his calculated but creative approach to solving problems.
- Counsels Columbia Sportswear on overall strategic patent portfolio development (utility and design patents), strategic direction and patent preparation/prosecution for footwear, apparel and outdoor gear.
- Serves as Strategic IP Counsel to Blount, Inc., guiding Blount through identification of valuable new ideas, development and protection of new products for forestry, agriculture and related industries, and structuring licensing arrangements and strategic partnerships.
- Represented a start-up medical device company from early-stage product development and intellectual property protection through funding and subsequent acquisition.
- Represents Oregon Health and Science University in patent preparation/prosecution directed to biotechnology and medical devices.
- Helped AgaMatrix enhance a medical device patent portfolio for diabetes management and enforce analyte sensor patent rights against a key competitor (AgaMatrix v. Dexcom).
- Represents precision automation equipment designer and manufacturer DWFritz in managing intellectual property policies/procedures, guiding strategic decisions, and securing proper patent and trademark protection.
- Conducted a portfolio evaluation and due diligence for a venture capital firm prior to investment, resulting in identification of key investable assets.
- Successfully guided RevMedx through the process to obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a hemostatic wound treatment device), an invention that was named an Invention of the Year by Popular Science.
- Represents Autonomic Materials in strategic partnerships and development of patent portfolio directed to self-healing coatings and formulations for industrial and automotive applications.
Memberships & Awards
- Portland Business Journal, Forty under Forty (2012)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars list, Intellectual Property (2011-2013)
- Ranked for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA (2014, 2015)
Resources & Ideas
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
- July 15, 2014
- May 11, 2012
- February 15, 2012
- January 10, 2011
- December 14, 2010
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
U.S. Supreme Court Case Review, Association of University Technology Managers, October 2014.
AIA, Myriad Genetics and Other Current Issues in Patenting, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2013.
Oregon Health and Science University Startup Symposium, facilitator, October 2013.
What Every Technology Entrepreneur Should Know About Intellectual Property, Technology Alliance of Oregon, October 2013.
Reinventing Patent Law: The America Invents Act Changes the Rules, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, October 12, 2011.
U.S. Patent Reform: An Update and Discussion of Its Impact on Technology Transfer, Association of University Technology Managers, September 2011.
Innovation, Design and Intellectual Property, Invention to Venture Portland, February 2011.
- Friends of Doernbecher, Board of Directors (2013-present), President (2014-2016)
- Doernbecher Foundation, Board of Directors (2014-present)
- Oregon Bioscience Association, Board of Directors (2010-present), Program & Events Chairperson (2009-2014)
- Licensing Executives Society, OR/SW WA Chapter Chairperson (2010-2011)
- Oregon Innovation Showcase, MC (2009, 2010), Chairperson (2009)
- George Mason University School of LawJuris Doctor degree, IP Specialty Track
- University of VirginiaBachelor of Arts degree in Biology
Oregon State Courts
Virginia State Courts
Court of Appeals of Virginia
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Skiing, hiking, golf, soccer and travel.