Tami E. MacLeod
Tami MacLeod helps clients of all sizes—including single individuals, family-run businesses and corporations—navigate the ins and outs of real estate development projects, from conceptualization of the project through final approval. Tami has broad experience in real estate law, having worked with developers, lenders and financial institutions; real estate professionals; title companies and stakeholders for over 20 years. Tami also guides owners’ associations through their general governance and provides practical solutions to the unique problems that always seem to crop up within planned communities and condominiums.
A resident of Central Oregon since the mid-1990s, Tami has lived through the boom and the bust cycles in the real estate environment. As a result, she has worked with clients to build real estate and development projects as well as provided assistance to lenders and borrowers on financial issues. From land use permitting and development to real estate dispositions and foreclosures, Tami has worked on them all.
- Obtained land use approval for a multi-user site for broadcast and telecommunications facilities in Central Oregon, involving extensive site planning and multiple appellate and local proceedings.
- Worked cooperatively with a commercial developer and local planning jurisdiction on behalf of a large community association to draft zoning provisions for a new zoning district, which ultimately allowed for mixed-use development in an urban-rural residential community.
- Prepared governing documents (declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) and bylaws) for new planned communities to satisfy land use conditions of approval.
Owners’ Association Counsel
- Counseled a large planned community—through Board of Director input and oversight, committee work, management coordination and community forums—in a year-long process to amend and restate its governing documents (CC&Rs and bylaws) to bring the developer’s original documents to meet current needs and standards.
- Assisted a condominium owners’ association navigate litigation initiated after a levy of a special assessment for condominium repairs where three groups of stakeholders (association, resort operator and independent owners coalition) all sought different outcomes. Obtained a global settlement approved by the overwhelming majority of owners implementing compromise governing document amendments, establishing a dispute resolution process and allowing condominium repairs to be completed.
- Provide regular “board training” for owners’ association Board of Directors to educate incoming and existing directors regarding their duties, responsibilities and obligations to the communities they serve.
Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Advised an established local business in transitioning its real property and business interests to a new owner/operator, preparing necessary transaction documents and providing for a cooperative conversion and training process.
- Represented the purchaser of a commercial building complex, including negotiating management agreements, lease-option documents and short sale approvals.
- Counseled a client in preserving its security rights in business collateral (brewing equipment) during the sale of that collateral, including negotiations with both buyer and seller, resulting in full payoff to client at closing.
Memberships & Awards
- Community Associations Institute Oregon, Central Oregon Regional Chapter, Board Member (2015-present)
- Oregon State Bar, Sections on Real Estate & Land Use and Debtor/Creditor, Member
Resources & Ideas
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 360 SW Bond Street, Suite 500, Bend, OR 97702, June 14, 2016
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Bend, Board of Directors, Chair of Legal and HR Committee (2014-present)
- Bend Science Station, Board of Directors (2010-2013)
- Deschutes United Way, Volunteer Campaign Chair (2009-2010), Board of Directors (1996-2002), Fiscal and Operations Committee & Chair (1996-2004)
- Bend Golf & Country Club, Bylaws Committee Chair (2010-present)
Community Associations Institute Oregon, Central Oregon Regional Chapter speaker (2012-present)
- Willamette University College of LawJuris Doctor degree, cum laude
- University of Nevada RenoBachelor of Arts degree, Political Science
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
U.S. District Court of Oregon
U.S. District Court of Washington
Outside The Office
- Golfing, cooking, camping, watching college football and lending a hand to help my kids raise their 4-H animals.