Health Insurance Plans
- Health Insurance Plans
- Health Information Technology
- Life Sciences, Medical Devices and Pharma
Insurance companies call on Schwabe for understanding state and federal requirements, obtaining rate and form approvals, and obtaining company and product registrations.
Guiding you through federal and state regulations
Our experienced team can advise you on issues related to the insurance code, healthcare reform under the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), Medicare, Medicaid, reimbursement, HIPAA, and ERISA health plan matters.
Insurance industry experience
Schwabe lawyers understand the complexities of state and federal insurance regulation. Our team includes a former Associate General Counsel for Cambia Health Solutions, who is also the only Oregon member of the Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC), a national association of insurance regulatory law. In addition to these positions, Peter Ricoy also previously served as a Health Care Economist with an insurance company, and supervised a team of analysts researching healthcare data and financial information to enhance efficiencies.
- Assisted a client in obtaining a Certificate of Authority as a healthcare service contractor.
- Analyzed the application of the Oregon and Washington insurance code to various provider risk-sharing arrangements.
- Represented insurance clients in Market Conduct Inquiries from the Insurance Division.
- Drafted form insurance policies and applications, including Affordable Care Act "Qualified Health Plans,” and life settlement contracts.
- Assisted in drafting, submitting and obtaining approval for "Form A" filings with Oregon Insurance Division.
- Drafted and negotiated producer (agent and broker) agreements between producers and insurance companies.
- Helped clients obtain rate and form approvals with the Oregon Insurance Division, including individual and group health plans, annuity filings, life insurance filings and automobile insurance filings.
- Obtained regulatory approval for client to operate as a licensed Life Settlement Provider in Oregon.
- Represented captive insurance company in securing eligibility to transact business in several states, including Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Utah.
- Represented insurance producer in the sale of insurance accounts and related business.
One secret to their success is a productive and collaborative relationship with medical staff.
Resources & Ideas
- American Bar Association
- Portland Business Journal
- Jennifer Franks, Ph.D.Associate
- Kurt HansenShareholder
- Bruce HowellIndustry Group Leader
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Lawrence ReamShareholder
- Peter D. RicoyShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder