As the Pacific Northwest continues to be a hotbed of technology innovation, Schwabe works with clients to protect their competitive advantage.
A step ahead in a fast-moving industry
From internet of things, machine vision and the cloud, to virtual reality and gaming, we are on the cutting edge of technologies and trends that are shaping the future. We represent innovators of every shape and size, including software developers, manufacturers and integrators in healthcare, information security, financial services, communications, entertainment and application services. We also advise semiconductor, electronics and electrical technology companies.
Our clients use innovative technologies and business models to disrupt their industries, and they need creative, flexible and practical counsel. We help our clients protect innovations, create and grow businesses, manage workforces and reap the rewards of their investments. We help them navigate privacy regulation around the world, commercialize their products and services, and navigate relationships with investors, executives, customers and strategic partners.
- Serve as lead counsel for Audio Precision for matters including corporate finance and securities, M&A and joint venture transactions, board governance and fiduciary duty, global expansion, trademark and licensing, executive compensation, employment law and litigation, immigration and dispute resolution.
- Represent SureID on all facets of corporate and product branding and trademark matters, including their renaming of the company from Eid Passport to SureID. We also counsel SureID on supply and service contracts and other technology-related initiatives.
- Strategically develop and leverage a valuable and growing worldwide patent and trademark portfolio for Prolifiq. We also review and draft master service and non‐disclosure agreements, counsel on immigration and employment matters and provide litigation services.
- Serve as outside general counsel to the Audio Engineering Society and numerous other standard-setting trade organizations, representing them on all of their legal needs, including employment advice.
- Served as lead counsel for Kryptiq Corporation (now dba Surescripts Enterprise Services and Enli Health Intelligence) for all legal matters, including corporate finance and securities, venture capital, M&A and joint venture transactions, board governance and fiduciary duty issues, all intellectual property issues (including trademark, patent, patent defense and licensing), spin-off of a major division, executive compensation, privacy issues, employment law, and litigation and dispute resolution issues.
- Counsel leading-edge software development and technology staffing companies across the Pacific Northwest on immigration issues.
- Prepare employment agreements for technology companies, including commission, non-disclosure, non-competition, non-solicitation, IP assignment and arbitration agreements. Obtain temporary restraining orders when employees leave in violation of restrictive covenants.
- Represent technology companies in trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty cases when employees leave with confidential information or take corporate opportunities to new businesses.
- Advise software, e-commerce and healthcare companies on compliance with privacy laws of multiple jurisdictions and management of data security risks. Prepare privacy policies, serve as external incident response manager, advise on cyber liability insurance, and negotiate and draft cloud storage agreements and other contracts that govern data transfer and use.
Resources & Ideas
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, 1211 SW 5th Avenue, 19th Floor, Portland, OR 97204
- Jama Software
- King County Bar Bulletin
- Portland Business Journal
- Jean Ohman BackOf Counsel
- Alexandra BodnarAssociate
- Michael A. CofieldSenior Counsel
- Michael CohenShareholder
- Graciela Gomez CowgerShareholder
- T.J. CraneAssociate
- Scott EadsShareholder
- James EdwardsAssociate
- Colin FolawnShareholder
- Darius HartwellShareholder
- Michael HerbstShareholder
- Donald Krahmer, Jr.Shareholder
- Joanna LeeOf Counsel
- Brenna LegaardIndustry Group Leader
- Trevor LivingstonShareholder
- Amanda Loupin-BartlettAssociate
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Jeffrey S. MarlinkAssociate
- Mark MeiningerOf Counsel
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Craig RussilloShareholder
- Lisa SchauresShareholder
- Yvonne TingleafShareholder