Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail
A trusted firm in the manufacturing, distribution and retail industry, Schwabe offers personal attention and strategic legal guidance to a broad range of businesses, from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
Proactive and engaged counsel
In an increasingly competitive marketplace, industry frontrunners look to Schwabe for knowledgeable advice and creative and practical solutions. Our lawyers are committed to learning the ins and outs of your business and staying up to date on industry trends. We help you avoid issues before they take your business off course, allowing you to focus on what is most important. If litigation arises, Schwabe’s experienced trial lawyers can guide you through the process, help you protect your business and further your objectives.
An integrative approach to building success
We are committed to understanding your business. That commitment allows us to see the big picture and understand how legal issues impact you as a whole. We have a breadth of industry knowledge and experience that allows us to serve your most complex legal threats. Schwabe’s manufacturing and distribution team provides advice and support that is tailored to your business and aimed at helping you succeed in this industry.
Comprehensive representation for manufacturing and distribution companies
Our team provides a complete range of services for companies in the manufacturing and distribution industry. We partner with you to handle:
- Business agreements, contracts and corporate governance
- Compliance with environmental, product safety and other relevant regulations
- Protection of lessor's interests in equipment and real property
- Employment agreements, policies, handbooks and training
- Local, state and national tax issues
- Litigation involving purchases and sales, defective product allegations, employment issues, real estate, and partnership and shareholder disputes
- Complex financial restructuring transactions
- Development of instruments to secure, protect, and perfect creditors' interests in real and personal property
- Enforcement actions on behalf of secured creditors, commercial landlords, vendors, and general creditors
- Insolvency proceedings, like receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Intellectual property protection and enforcement
- Antitrust and trade regulations, marketing claims, advertising and promotional campaigns, and sweepstakes and contest laws
- Product safety, labeling and regulatory compliance
- Product liability and consumer litigation
- Implementation of executive compensation, noncompete, nonsolicitation and nondisclosure programs and agreements
- Partnered with a rebar manufacturer to assist with its purchase of a facility and develop its ownership transition plan
- Advised a defense manufacturing company on employment issues including arbitration agreements, employee handbooks, manager training and anti-harassment training.
- Represented Columbia Steel Casting Co, Inc. in environmental matters including permitting, solid and hazardous waste, investigation and remediation of contaminated property. Work with company management to develop programs, conduct environmental audits and inspections and interact with regulatory agencies.
- Advised food and beverage manufacturers on labeling, safety, licensing and other regulatory compliance issues, including product labels and claims, food-safety plans and procedures, licensing and permitting. When necessary, assist with voluntary product recalls or market withdrawals and defend against government enforcement actions.
- Counseled Advance Auto Parts, Inc., a Fortune 300 after-market auto parts retailer, in regard to its 401(k) plan, health and welfare plans and executive deferred compensation arrangements, including plan compliance issues arising in connection with corporate acquisitions and changes in applicable federal laws.
- Defended one of the world’s largest privately owned food manufacturers in lawsuit by a former employee alleging employment discrimination and violations of the federal and state Medical Leave Acts.
- Won defense verdict for a power tool manufacturer in a lengthy class action trial, avoiding damages in excess of $50 million.
- Helped a food processor litigate claims against an equipment manufacturer for defective equipment. Obtained an expedited resolution that included prompt repair of the defective equipment, minimizing loss of productivity for our client.
- Represented manufacturers of a wide variety of products against asbestos claims, including claims involving products that only included asbestos component parts with pre-1970s exposure dates.
Getting wet isn’t always fun, especially when you’re wearing gear that is supposed to keep you dry.
- Intellectual Property
- Business and Corporate
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Employment, Labor and Benefits
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
- Financial Institutions
- Indian Law
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate
- Transactions, Licensing and E-commerce
- International Business
- IP Litigation
- Trademarks, Copyrights, Marketing and Advertising
- Land Use and Entitlement
- Water Law
- Tax Planning
- Securities and Finance
- Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights and Corporate Restructuring
- Tax Controversy
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Formation and Governance
- Plant Development, Facility Siting and Permitting
- Environmental Compliance and Safety
- Agency Actions and Rulemaking
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Acquisition and Disposition
- Trusts and Estate Planning
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour
- Employment Litigation
- Employee Benefits
Resources & Ideas
- Protecting your Client’s IP in ChinaShanghai, China
- American Lake Conference Center on base at Joint Base Lewis-McChord
- 1420 Fifth Ave., Ste. 3400, Seattle, WA 98101
- Willamette Heritage Center, Spinning Room, 1313 Mill Street SE, Salem, OR 97301
- Portland Business Journal
- Jean Ohman BackOf Counsel
- Matthew BisturisShareholder
- Alexandra BodnarAssociate
- Rebecca BoyetteAssociate
- Carmen CalzacortaShareholder
- Michael A. CofieldSenior Counsel
- Michael CohenShareholder
- Leora Coleman-FireAssociate
- T.J. CraneAssociate
- Farron CurryShareholder
- David EbelShareholder
- Brien FlanaganShareholder
- Michael HerbstShareholder
- Donald Krahmer, Jr.Shareholder
- Trevor LivingstonShareholder
- Mark LongManaging Partner/Practicing Lawyer
- Jeffrey S. MarlinkAssociate
- Mark MeiningerOf Counsel
- Alex PoustShareholder
- C. Kent RobertsShareholder
- Ron SaxtonShareholder
- Yvonne TingleafShareholder