Managing the Expected (and Unexpected!) Environmental Issues in Real Estate Development
Join Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt, GeoEngineers, and HomeStreet Bank on January 28, 2015 for a moderated round table discussion regarding the development of real estate with environmental issues, followed by beverages, hors d'oeuvres, and conversation with other industry professionals.
Whether you are an experienced brownfields redeveloper with insights to share, or a greenfields developer considering projects in an urban environment with known or potential environmental issues, you are sure to get something out of this discussion and networking opportunity.
Topics will include:
- Quantifying the myriad risks and costs at multiple stages throughout the environmental due diligence process;
- What to be aware of when conducting an Environmental Site Assessment, including recent changes to the ASTM E1527 - 13 Standard Practice for Phase I Environmental Site Assessments;
- When a Phase II investigation is necessary, and how to get your best bang for the buck;
- The effects of environmental issues on financing and valuation (cost of mitigation, regulatory time frames to closure, construction cost [it's not just soil disposal cost anymore], and vapor intrusion [the BIG Gray Area]);
- Managing and allocating risks and cleanup costs through contract terms, insurance tools, and strategic cost recovery actions;
- Assembling the right project team for developing urban property; and
- Developing an environmental strategic plan that establishes your goals for all property development. Understanding that tactics for accomplishing development goals need to be site specific, addressing unique property and deal conditions. Knowing your endpoints, risk tolerances, and what you will not accept are keys to success.
Date:Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Time:3:30 - 4:00 pm Registration
4:00 - 5:30 pm Presentation
5:30 - 6:30 pm Reception
Location:Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt
U.S. Bank Centre
1420 Fifth Ave., Suite 3400
Seattle, WA 98101
Validated parking in the US Bank Centre/City Centre garage.
Presented By: GeoEngineers, Homestreet Bank, and Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt