Trademarks, Copyrights, Marketing and Advertising
- Intellectual Property
- Transactions, Licensing and E-commerce
- IP Litigation
- Trademarks, Copyrights, Marketing and Advertising
Schwabe provides a full array of services to help industry leaders, growing businesses and start-ups establish and manage strong domestic and international trademark portfolios.
We regularly advise on the selection and protection of business names, domain names, trademarks, service marks, slogans and trade dress. In particular, we handle:
- Clearance, registration and enforcement
- Oppositions and cancellation proceedings
- License, co-branding and other agreements
We counsel clients on copyright issues for all types of materials, including traditional print, music, art and sculpture, databases, and digital content. Clients regularly call on us to assist with registration, counseling, licensing, ownership transfers, and infringement demands and other disputes.
We also have significant experience litigating trademark and copyright cases, but are equally adept at resolving these disputes without the expense and delay of litigation whenever possible.
Ensuring compliance for marketing campaigns
Our clients seek our advice on their website and ad campaign content, product packaging and promotional materials, and similar marketing materials. We help ensure compliance with Federal Trade Commission guidelines and applicable state and federal laws. We also provide advice on required disclosures in social media and other marketing campaigns. In addition, we draft and negotiate sponsorship, endorsement, and influencer agreements on behalf of our clients and advise on state laws that govern sweepstakes and contests, including drafting Official Rules and registering promotions with various states when required.
- Led trademark clearance and protection for SureID’s corporate rebranding of Eid Passport to SureID.
- Handle domestic and international trademark clearance, enforcement and portfolio management for Benchmade Knife Company. Provide counsel on anti-counterfeiting, product endorsement and sponsorship agreements, and domestic and international distribution agreements.
- Serve as local counsel to Tenza Trading Ltd. in trademark infringement matter seeking to enforce the client’s rights in its premiere trademark against a cybersquatter.
- Represent a large supplier of gardening supplies in trademark and trade dress litigation to protect its distinctive trademarks and branding.
When SureID went through its corporate rebranding from Eid Passport, Schwabe led the trademark clearance and protection.
Resources & Ideas
- One Union Square; 600 University Street Seattle, WA 98104
- Portland Business Journal
- Alexandra BodnarAssociate
- Gillian Bunker, Ph.D.Shareholder
- Michael A. CofieldSenior Counsel
- Michael CohenShareholder
- Graciela Gomez CowgerShareholder
- Scott EadsShareholder
- Jeffrey S. MarlinkAssociate
- Yvonne TingleafShareholder