Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Schwabe has a proven record of winning cases through dedicated and exceptional advocacy, both in trial proceedings and on appeal.
Schwabe’s litigation practice is widely recognized as one of the best in the Pacific Northwest. Our trial lawyers regularly try cases to verdicts before juries, judges, and arbitrators. Calling on our deep knowledge of different industries and subject areas, we develop innovative strategies that resolve complex legal issues.
We represent large and small companies in a broad range of business and commercial disputes, tort litigation, bankruptcy litigation and other civil disputes, working closely with our clients to understand their needs and priorities. Whether by securing early resolution through mediation, by winning dispositive motions, or by taking cases through trial and appeal, we seek to obtain the optimal result for every client.
When disputes loom, national, global and regional leaders in diverse industries call on Schwabe, including:
- Port of Vancouver
- MUFG Union Bank
- Vigor Industrial
- Hamilton Construction
- Obtained a significant jury verdict for Big River Construction in its dispute with the City of Tillamook regarding payments due for construction of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Defended Global Partners in claims brought by a group of citizens claiming that it had not secured required air permits for a planned transloading terminal.
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict on employment claims and defended the verdict before the Washington State Supreme Court against claims of juror misconduct.
- Successfully tried multi-million dollar verdict against city on waste water treatment facility.
- Won reversal of jury verdict in insurance coverage dispute to secure $12.5 million in coverage benefits (review pending).
- Represented landowner from landmark case Dolan v. City of Tigard on remand from U.S. Supreme Court and obtained just compensation.
- Achieved summary dismissal of a six-figure salvage claim against a vessel-owner client by educating a state-court fact-finder on complex nuances of federal maritime salvage law.
- Secured favorable verdicts for terminal operator in several labor disputes dealing with jurisdictional issues, unfair labor practice claims, and federal injunctions and damage claims.
- Prevailed on three multi-million dollar bid protests on federal procurements in Washington, Texas and Nevada for the same prime contractor in a two-month period.
- Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail
- Food and Beverage
- Natural Resources
- Real Estate and Construction
- Forest Products
- Outdoor and Athletic
- Transportation, Ports and Maritime
- Health Insurance Plans
- Health Information Technology
- Life Sciences, Medical Devices and Pharma
Resources & Ideas
- Gretchen BlaserParalegal
- Cindy Bryan, RPParalegal
- Jennifer CampbellIndustry Group Leader
- Leora Coleman-FireAssociate
- Farron CurryShareholder
- Derrick De VeraAssociate
- Ryan DummAssociate
- David EbelShareholder
- Cristy GrayParalegal
- Richard HansenShareholder
- Angela HanslovanParalegal
- Anna HeltonShareholder
- Jeff HernShareholder
- Kristin HildebrantParalegal
- Margaret HoffmannShareholder
- Stephanie HolmbergAssociate
- Christopher HowardShareholder
- MaryAnn IvieParalegal
- Noah JarrettIndustry Group Leader
- Jamila JohnsonShareholder
- Allison KrashanShareholder
- Darien LoiselleShareholder
- Bert MarkovichShareholder
- Alison MossShareholder
- Alex PoustShareholder
- C. Kent RobertsShareholder
- Tonja SmithParalegal
- Paige SprattAssociate
- Nathan SramekAssociate
- Joseph StocktonAssociate
- Anne TalcottShareholder
- Jeremy VermilyeaShareholder
- Kelly WalshShareholder