Print Formatted Area
Employment and Labor Law
Positive employment relations are essential to the overall health of any business. Attorneys at Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt can help employers develop and maintain constructive relationships with their employees. Federal and state laws governing employee relations have increased both in number and complexity in recent years, especially in the areas of sex and age discrimination, wrongful termination, workplace safety, job security, immigration, business acquisitions, and management/union relations. Our attorneys regularly provide day-to-day employment and labor law advice to employers of all sizes to assist them with navigating the myriad of state and federal laws which can pose potential legal problems for the uninformed, yet best-intentioned employer.
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt's comprehensive employment relations services include:
- Assistance with the development and evaluation of personnel policies and procedures, including compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Oregon Civil Rights laws, OFCC compliance audits, and affirmative action programs;
- Defense of employers against all other claims filed by former, current, and prospective employees for discrimination, retaliation, harassment, constructive discharge, wrongful discharge, unemployment compensation, breach of contract, defense of unfair labor practice charges, and workers compensation discrimination;
- Representation of employers on issues relating to organized labor, including union organizing activities, representation elections, collective bargaining, and arbitration;
- Representation of employers in wage and hour class action and collective action litigation in state and federal courts;
- Immigration compliance assistance;
- Assistance with arrangements for expatriate employees in the U.S. and overseas;
- Provide advice to clients on issues pertaining to noncompetition agreements, nonsolicitation agreements, and arbitration agreements;
- Provide risk management assessment and advice to clients on avoiding lawsuits;
- Conduct employment law compliance audits;
- Structuring business acquisitions and the preparation of employment agreements to conform with labor laws, including ERISA and COBRA;
- Advising employers on OSHA/worker safety compliance issues and enforcement matters; and
- Assistance to employers in responding to administrative charges filed with the U.S.
Representative MattersWe obtained summary judgment on behalf of a leading global health and hygiene company on a claim for intentional interference with economic relations.
We obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large anesthesiology group on a former anesthesiologist's claim of ADA and state law disability discrimination claims.
We obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a financial services client after a four-week jury trial in which the plaintiff alleged a variety of causes of action including sex discrimination, retaliation, and constructive discharge.
We obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large national retailer who was being sued on a claim of retaliatory discharge.
We obtained partial summary judgment on a claim of age discrimination on behalf of a large manufacturing company which ultimately led to settlement on favorable terms for the client.
We obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a service industry client after a four-day jury trial in which the plaintiff alleged wage claim retaliation.
Successfully represented labor clients in arbitration matters upholding employer's discipline and discharge of union employees.
Successfully defeated union organizing campaigns and charges filed before the NLRB.
Successfully renegotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements.
Representative Client List
- Alsco Corp.
- Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. (Pacific Northwest Chapter)
- Bend Chamber of Commerce
- Bend Memorial Clinic
- Central Oregon Intergovernmental Council
- Clear One Health Plans
- Columbia Steel Casting Co.
- Deschutes Brewery
- Howard S. Wright Construction
- J.B. Hunt Transportation
- Kemper Sports Management
- KeyBank National Association
- Kimberly-Clark Global Sales, LLC
- Lifeline Connections
- Marylhurst University
- Morgan Stanley DW Inc.
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- Port of Vancouver
- Portland Trail Blazers
- Rent-A-Center, Inc.
- Sisters of St. Mary's of Oregon
- Sunriver Resort
- Target Corporation
- ZTE (USA), Inc.< ul>