Print Formatted Area
Maritime and Transportation
Maritime law focuses on the problems associated with the movement of commerce and/or recreational activities on or near waterways. Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt maintains one of the largest Maritime practice groups on the West Coast. Our lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of the maritime industry and the laws that regulate it, and maintain personal relationships with most of the regional industry's leaders. Schwabe maritime attorneys serve three types of clients: members of the maritime industry such as tanker operators, tug and barge, cruise lines, steamship operators, boaters and fishermen, shipyards, ports and terminals, and stevedore companies; maritime insurance underwriters; and clients who conduct business with the maritime industry (shippers and owners of cargo).
Our work on behalf of our clients in the maritime insurance and litigation practice includes:
- Full litigation services, including personal injury, collision, cargo loss, salvage, and commercial disputes.
- Assisting marine underwriters in investigating, defending, and prosecuting claims
- Evaluating and litigating marine insurance claims
We also provide timely and practical assistance to commercial maritime industry clients desiring assistance with:
- Purchase and sale of maritime industry businesses
- Ownership or leasing of waterfront-related property and facilities
- Vessel-related transactions, such as sales, charters, tax deferred exchanges, vessel construction and repair, and marine construction and dredging projects
- Vessel finance and liens
- Shipping transactions, including affreightment contracts and towage agreements
- Regulatory and environmental compliance, including representation before administrative boards
- Alaska Tanker Company, LLC
- Brusco Tug & Barge, Inc.
- Cascade General, Inc.
- Clean Rivers Cooperative, Inc.
- Fishermen's Finest, Inc.
- International Marine Underwriters
- Maritime Fire & Safety Association
- Mitsui OSK Lines
- Port of Vancouver, U.S.
- Sause Bros., Inc.
- Shaver Transportation Co.
- Steamship Insurance Management Services, Inc.
- Sunderland Marine Mutual Insurance Co.
- Tidewater Barge Lines, Inc.
- Trident Seafoods Corporation
- The West of England Shipowners Mutual Assurance Association Ltd.