Jeffrey S. Eden
Download vCard (Jeffrey S. Eden, Portland)
Jeff Eden is the Practice Group Leader for the firm's Products Litigation Practice Group. Throughout his 25-year legal career, Mr. Eden has gained extensive experience in a broad range of civil litigation, including product liability, professional liability and catastrophic injury. In addition to his product liability work, Mr. Eden also has significant experience handling general commercial litigation, including UCC matters. He has successfully tried more than 80 jury trials to verdict in the state and federal courts of Oregon and Washington. As a result of his extensive trial experience, Mr. Eden has been retained by many corporate and other clients to counsel them on how to control litigation costs through arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods. He has also advised U.S. product manufacturers, distributors, and sellers on product modifications and risk management strategies designed to avoid future litigation.
Mr. Eden has represented component part manufacturers in the industrial and aircraft manufacturing industries, paint and coating manufacturers, and sellers of childproof packaging. He also has routinely worked with local and national manufacturers, and distributors of pharmaceutical products, medical devices, and nutritional supplements. Prior to joining Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Mr. Eden was an attorney at Bullivant, Houser, Bailey and has previously served as national coordinating defense counsel to a leading Western retailer in national drug litigation.
Mr. Eden has also represented numerous professionals--including physicians, pharmacists, chiropractors, dentists, attorneys, and agents--in professional liability and alleged professional negligence matters. He has assisted his professional clients in disciplinary matters and administrative hearings.
As an AV, Peer Reviewed rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Eden has been selected by his peers as an Oregon Super Lawyer (2007-2011) and has been listed in Best Lawyers in America (2007-2012) for his work in Product Liability Litigation.
• Successfully defended and settled catastrophic injury cases for heavy equipment manufacturers and retailers
• Provided risk management advice for discovery coordination
• Represented numerous orthopedic implant manufacturers in product liability litigation
• Successfully defended leading Western retailer in product liability case involving nutritional supplements
• Defended numerous clients in consumer product liability cases for manufacturers of small consumer devices
• Represented manufacturers of both guns and ammunition in product defect claims
• Successfully defended major retailer in an MDL consumer products liability case
• Litigation and regulatory defense of an out-of-state distributor
• Speaker "Navigating the CPSC: Advice from the Trenches," at the DRI Annual Product Liability conference, National Harbor, MD, on April 3, 2013.
- Mr. Eden was joined by Marc Schoem, Deputy Director, Office of Compliance and Field Operations for the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
• Speaker, "Annual Tort Law Update on Emerging Torts – Lead and Lead Paint Litigation," Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, December 2007
Professional & Community Activities
• American Board of Trial Advocates
• Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
• Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
• Defense Research Institute
• Oregon State Bar
• Washington State Bar Association
• Multnomah Bar Association
• Former Vice Chair of the Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA) and Tort & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
United States Supreme Court
Author, Oregon chapter in DRI's book, Product Liability Defenses, 2007
Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude (1985)
University of Oregon, Bachelor of Science degree (1982)
Dealing with the CPSC Boomerang: Managing Mandatory CPSC Disclosures, February 29, 2012