Download vCard (Carson Bowler, Portland)
Carson Bowler is a litigator and an environmental lawyer practicing in both Oregon and Washington.
Carson's approach to legal issues big and small is to work with clients to find cost-effective and smart solutions. He emphasizes a long-view strategy to solving problems. Carson incorporates the ACC's Value Challenge principles into his practice, and strives to foster client relationships based on value, service and trust.
Areas of Emphasis
Carson's practice ranges from preventing problems before they occur to solving them after they – figuratively -- explode. He has managed and litigated cases ranging from complex to simple in both state and federal court. His clients include large corporations, closely held companies, trusts, individuals, and on occasion, public bodies. His practice includes the following areas (click on the links below for additional detail):
• Administrative Law
• Hazardous Substance Remediation and Litigation (Superfund)
• Forestry and Natural Resources
• Water Law and Wetlands
• Insurance Coverage
• Real Estate Transactions and Risk Management
Carson also advises small/closely held businesses, with the help of other Schwabe lawyers, in their day-to-day decision making, including managing risk and liability.
Professional & Community Activities
• Multnomah Bar Association Court Liaison Committee, 2009-2012
• Oregon State Bar Energy, Telecommunications & Utility Law Section, 2003 (Chair); 2002-2003 (Executive Committee)
• Oregon State Bar Administrative Law Section, 2002-2003 (Chair); 2002-2003 (Executive Committee)
• Multnomah Bar Association Professionalism Committee, 2001-2003
• Multnomah Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Service to the Bar Committee, 2001 (Chair)
• Multnomah Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Award of Merit, 2001
• American Inns of Court, Gus J. Solomon Chapter, 1997-2003
• University of Oregon Sigma Nu Fraternity Alumni Board, Past President and Current Board Member
• Recipient: 2011 Washington State Bar Pro Bono Publico Service Commendation
Carson is an AV rated lawyer with Martindale-Hubbell®.
Within the firm, Carson supervises and mentors associate attorneys, and has served on the firm's Diversity Committee, Lateral Integration Committee, and Client Service Committee. He also represents victims of domestic violence through the Multnomah Bar Association's Volunteer Lawyers Program.
Although he loves his work, Carson loves his family more, and to a lesser degree, commuting by bike, running, golfing poorly, and getting out on his motorcycle. He refers to himself in the third person in this bio, but not when he talks to you.
Admitted to Practice
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Federal Claims
University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor degree, Editor-in-Chief, Oregon Law Review (1994)
University of Oregon, Bachelor of Arts degree (1991)
Environmental Woes Can Send Land Deals South (Portland Business Journal, Sustainable Business Oregon Edition), March 18, 2013
Oregon DEQ Expands Protections For Property Owners, January 4, 2013