Download vCard (Thomas Tongue, Portland)
Tom Tongue is a shareholder and currently serves as the practice group leader for the firm's business group. He represents clients in a broad array of significant business transactions. In addition, he actively represents insurance companies on insurance regulatory matters.
Mr. Tongue's corporate work focuses on assisting clients with business formations, raising capital, securities offerings, succession planning, and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Tongue also serves as general corporate counsel for several Oregon businesses including Parr Lumber Company. As general counsel, he not only provides legal advice on corporate matters, but also serves to direct and manage the other legal work being preformed by the firm for his clients.
Recent representative transactions include:
- Represented Precoa, LLC in its reorganization.
- Represented Howard S. Wright in its sale to Balfour Beatty Construction.
- Represented Xtreme Consulting in its acquisition of Blackfin Technology.
- Represented Kryptiq Corporation in its sale to Surescripts.
- Represented Xtreme Consulting in its acquisition of Kipe Technology Resources.
- Represented Pacific Interpreters in its sale to Sterling Partners.
- Represented Lexcycle, Inc. (owner of Stanza) in its acquisition by Amazon.com.
- Represented Pacific Interpreters in its corporate reorganization.
- Represented Danga Interactive, Inc. d/b/a LiveJournal.com in its acquisition by SixApart Ltd.
- Represented Bank of Astoria in its acquisition by Columbia Bancorp.
- Represented Enablemart in its acquisition by Manufacturers Resource Network, Inc.
- Represented Interactive Technology Limited in its purchase of Megisto Systems, Inc.
- Represented DPA, Inc. in its acquisition of Columbia Trust Company.
- Represented NBG Radio Network, Inc. in its negotiation of its credit facility with MCG Finance Corporation.
Mr. Tongue maintains an insurance regulatory practice. His work focuses on local, regional, and national insurers with regulatory matters pending before the Oregon Insurance Division.
Professional & Community Activities
As a fifth generation Oregon attorney, Mr. Tongue is deeply committed to helping the Oregon State Bar and the community in general. He presently serves as Chair of the Greater Oregon Chapter of the March of Dimes. For over five years, he taught a course on mergers and acquisitions as an adjunct professor at the University of Oregon School of Law. The members of the Oregon State Bar elected Mr. Tongue to serve two three-year terms as a representative on the Oregon State Bar House. He also served on the Steering Committee for Oregon Entrepreneurs Network's Venture Oregon event and volunteered as a coach for the Classroom Law Project's Mock Trial program.
Within the firm, Mr. Tongue serves as the practice group leader for the firm's business group. He is also a member of the firm's retirement plan committee. Previously, he founded and chaired the firm's Lateral Integration Committee. He also served on the Hiring Committee and as a Supervisor for the firm's Summer Associate Program.
Thomson Reuters, publishers of Oregon Super Lawyers, has repeatedly recognized Mr. Tongue's professional and community activities by naming him to their "Rising Stars" roster (2008-2012). This distinction is limited to no more than 2.5% of the attorneys in Oregon.
Mr. Tongue is listed in The Legal 500's list of approved counsel in the Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts-Middle Market (sub-$500m) category. In addition, he is also recognized in Best Lawyers in America for his work in Insurance Law, Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions.
Mr. Tongue is a graduate of the Portland Business Alliance's Leadership Portland program. The program is reserved for outstanding business leaders in the community. The Portland Business Journal named Mr. Tongue one of its 2010 "Forty Under 40" emerging business leaders.
Articles, Panels, Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, 2012 Oregon State Bar Real Estate and Land Use Annual Meeting
- Speaker, "Learning the Ropes" CLE, Oregon State Bar PLF, November 2010
- Speaker, OSB Young Lawyers Section CLE, October 2010
- Author, "Lessons from Securities Litigation," In Brief, Oregon State Bar PLF, June 2009
- Author, "Variable Annuities to Be Treated as Securities Under New Law," Legal Update, August 10, 2007
- Speaker, Small Business Clinic CLE, 2006
- Panelist, "Working with in-house counsel," University of Oregon Law & Entrepreneur Center, 2005
- Dodd-Frank Act: Immediate Change to Regulation D Accredited Investor Definition, July 22, 2010
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
University of Oregon School of Law, Juris Doctor degree
University of Oregon, Master of Business Administration degree, with honors
Vanderbilt University, Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics
Dodd-Frank Act: Immediate Change to Regulation D Accredited Investor Definition, July 22, 2010