Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt attorneys are recognized professionals in government affairs. We advocate for corporations, associations, trade groups, and individuals involved in diverse industries with government-related matters, concerns, controversies, and investigations and oversight.
We have a deep understanding of the legislative and regulatory arenas—necessary in a polarized political atmosphere in advocating for change sought by clients or in defending clients from proposals detrimental to their interests. We explain to clients how current and prospective legislative and agency policies and regulations impact their business goals and provide opportunities. When clients require legislative advocacy or planning, we provide a strong and effective strategy, superior resources to implement such plans, and—where appropriate—provide access to policymakers or help clients forge strategic relationships with important agencies. We are able to provide clients with direct contact with national key decision-makers in Washington D.C. Many of our attorneys have held influential positions at state cabinet levels and have worked with major agencies and politicians.
Doing business with the government requires adherence of complex regulations and contractual terms. Our attorneys may audit a client's current compliance policies and procedures and recommend updates that track ever-changing regulations. We have counseled clients in creating and maintaining compliant business operations and ethics such as E-Verify, conflicts of interest policies and disclosures, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Regulatory and Licensing Issues
- Legislative Advocacy
- Policy Development
- Agency Rulemaking
- Export Licensing
- Trade Policy Issues
- Securing Federal Grants
- Government Teaming Arrangements and Subcontracting
- Government Set-Asides
- Bid Protests and Contract Claims
- Public Disclosure and Freedom of Information Act Issues
Representative Transactions or Cases
- Obtained a $100 million award in arbitration involving an energy contract
- Assisted a large imported athletic shoe company protect its trade-related interests from adverse federal legislation
- Assisted a small U.S. exporter to secure export-import bank financing at a time when larger U.S. companies dominated most export-import services
- Helped a group of regional customs brokers respond to major customs reform legislation
- Led negotiations for Oregon's first settlement of Indian Treaty Water Rights with Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation
- Successfully protested a contract solicitation based on constitutional violations
- Assist large Washington company with lobbying compliance and dealings with Public Disclosure Commission
- Successfully advocated for modification to county property development laws to provide business opportunities for client