Matt Turetsky is a candid and perceptive commercial litigator and mediator.
Experienced in business litigation and arbitration
Matt helps companies resolve contract disputes in the real estate, financial and agriculture industries. While he has tried jury and bench trials to verdict in state and federal courts, his clients value most his ability to reach favorable settlements in hotly contested, complex disputes involving commercial leases, real estate purchase and sale agreements, development and construction loans, agriculture supply agreements and other contracts.
A dedicated mediator
Matt's enthusiasm for helping his clients resolve cases cooperatively drew him to acting as a mediator. His reputation in the legal community for trust and integrity serves him well in this role. Matt mediates both business and personal injury disputes, and has completed the Pepperdine University School of Law's Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution training, "Mediating the Litigated Case."
Matt is unwavering in his pursuit of settlement. He is strategic in his approach and always prepared.
- Won multiple appeals on behalf of a national bank to recover deficiency judgments following non-judicial foreclosure.
- Obtained judgments in excess of $168 million and recovered over $39 million on execution of judgments, settlements and through bankruptcy in litigation over development and construction loans.
- Obtained a sizeable settlement for a packager/reseller of crop in litigation against a processor/marketing agent involving breach of supply agreement.
- Successfully defended direct seller against claims by Washington Attorney General alleging consumer protection violations.
- Won defense verdict in a trial of class action product liability case in King County Superior Court.
Memberships & Awards
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Board of Directions
- Associate Review Committee, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Chair
- Named one of Washington State's Super Lawyers for Business Litigation in 2014 and 2015.
- Washington Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2016-2018)
Resources & Ideas
- September 24, 2010
- Super LawyersJune 21, 2018
- 14 of Schwabe’s Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top 5 percent of their fieldJune 16, 2016
- October 19, 2010
- September 25, 2017
- YouthCare, Chair of Board of Directors (2010-present)
- Stroum Jewish Community Center, Board of Directors (2010-2015)
- Hastings College of the Law, University of CaliforniaJuris Doctor degree (1993)
- University of WashingtonBachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration (1987)
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Court
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
Outside The Office
- Spending time with my family: wife Molly, daughter Anna and son Quinn.