Thomas V. Dulcich
In 36 years of legal practice, Tom Dulcich has tried well over 200 cases. Financial institutions, timber companies, broker-dealers, manufacturers, landowners, investors, retailers, technology firms, insurers, fisheries, churches and other non-profits call on Tom to represent them in times of trouble.
- Obtained preliminary and permanent non-competition injunction against and recovered a six-figure attorney fee from a former employee who had already begun work as the branch manager of a competitor of Brown & Brown. Brown & Brown, Inc. v. Timothy J. Nielsen, U.S. District Court of Oregon.
- Won defense verdict for HVAC manufacturer in a month-long jury trial in a wrongful death/product liability case in which plaintiffs' counsel asked the jury for $14.2 million. Estate of Joel Crisp v. York International, et al., Spokane County Superior Court.
- Represented the former president of Southern Pacific Funding in a class action shareholder litigation seeking $260 million, and achieved settlement for only seven figures. In re Security Pacific Funding Securities Litigation Class Action, U.S. District Court of Oregon.
- Resolved more than 300 tort claims over seven years for the Catholic Archdiocese for the western half of Oregon, culminating in the first-ever filing of a successful Chapter 11 reorganization case for a Catholic bishop. All claims were resolved and ultimate claim finality was achieved without closing any of the parishes and schools in the Archdiocese. In re Roman Catholic Archbishop of Portland in Oregon, U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented Catholic archbishop and priest at trial and on appeal in a case in which the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals held that the surreptitious tape recording of a sacramental confession administered by a Catholic priest in the Lane County Jail violated the First Amendment. Timothy Mockaitis and Francis George v. Harcleroad, 104 F3d 1522 (9th Cir 1997).
- Won $2 million verdict on a complex real estate transaction agreement against partners in New Jersey who claimed they had never seen the agreement. Paragano v. Gray, 126 Or App 670 (1994).
- Resolved class action product liability case defending a domestic pneumatic tool manufacturer against a class of plaintiffs, and tried to verdict twice the case of seven other plaintiffs making similar claims. Shea, et al. v. Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, 164 Or App 198, 990 P2d 912 (1999), Cleatis Mitchell, et al. v. Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company, U.S. District Court.
- Obtained complete defense verdict against Charles Schwab in a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) case for alleged breach of non-solicitation agreement and alleged use of trade secrets by a former registered representative of Charles Schwab. Charles Schwab Co., Inc. v. Kimberly Perreira and Wells Fargo Advisors.
- Successfully defended allegations of age and ethnic discrimination claim at trial. Susnjara and Rodriguez v. Catholic Community Services, U.S. District Court of Oregon.
- Obtained $4.9 million award in favor of Morgan Stanley against two former employees for breach of agreements with the broker-dealer. Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, LLC v. Sean Anthony Lehman and Kurt Halverstadt, FINRA.
- Obtained successful defense summary judgment in a case alleging $50 million in damages. Giuliano v. Anchorage Advisors, U.S. District Court of Oregon.
Memberships & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, since 2002
- National Diocesan Attorneys Association, since 1992
- Best Lawyers in America
- Ranked for General Commercial Litigation Lawyers in Oregon, Chambers USA
- Recognized as among 50 best lawyers in Oregon
Oregon Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2016)
Resources & Ideas
- August 15, 2017
- Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal fieldJuly 10, 2017
- Six practice areas and 20 attorneys singled out for excellenceJune 5, 2017
- August 19, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- University of Chicago Law SchoolJuris Doctor degree (1980)
- University of OregonBachelor of Science degree, with Honors, Phi Beta Kappa (1976)
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Outside The Office
- Tom is proud graduate of Astoria High School and has maintained a commitment to the importance of the wise use of natural resources to sustain coastal communities and families