Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Hospitals, Health Systems, Physician Groups, and Medical Technology
- Biotech, Medical Devices, and Pharma
With $80 billion invested in health technology in the United States over recent years, the future of healthcare and bioscience depends on unleashing the value of important discoveries. Our immersion in the sector strengthens our clients’ positions in the brave new world of digital health, telemedicine, and medical technology disruption.
An integrated industry approach
What are the stress points in the business of healthcare and medicine? Development of therapies to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, and new models for revenue, care, and payment are among the most pressing. We represent providers, companies, and institutions advancing solutions.
We operate like a legal think tank for the sector
To protect life science clients’ breakthroughs in antibodies, bioprocessing, cancer, diabetes, and other critical areas, we apply our full bench strength—from patent infringement offensives to product liability defenses. Our counsel provides legal advice regarding strategic patent portfolios and efforts to commercialize them via technology transfers and collaborations.
For health systems and healthcare providers, we navigate you through critical transactions, agreements, and mergers and acquisitions that stabilize and grow operations to increase access to care. Our experience with federal and state regulatory compliance helps healthcare clients prevent missteps—from antitrust triggers to accreditation risks, and more.
A legal nexus for the business of health
Schwabe is home to one of the first healthcare law teams in the Pacific Northwest. As counsel to public and private companies and startups for decades, we can address the chain reaction of legal issues that accompany new business models and scientific discoveries, including:
- Technology transfer and licensing
- Regulatory compliance
- Patent and intellectual property protection
- Portfolio commercialization
- Credentials and licensing
- Employment practices and claims
- Litigation and infringement claims
- Mergers, acquisitions, and combinations
- Privacy and data security
- Product liability
- Tax strategies
- Corporate governance
New ideas on evolving opportunities with big data
Schwabe’s deep experience in the health, bio, and life sciences helps us identify significant opportunities and ways for you to participate in these fields. Our legal bench is a unique collaboration of business-minded, trained scientists. We are passionate about industry transformation and understand the laws necessary to achieve it.
To sharpen your competitive edge, we manage collaborative partnerships, worldwide patent rights, regulatory compliance programs, vendor data assessments, and more.
Wrangling big data is an overarching challenge. Our legal advice steers clients through the potential of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and other technologies to meet the demand for data interoperability, transparency, and privacy.
Stewardship for a fast-moving industry
Uncertainty abounds in life sciences and healthcare. Our weekly case summary on patent rulings, Fresh From the Bench, is one of several ways we stay in touch. We are active in industry associations, including:
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), national and regional
- Oregon Business & Industry, Health Policy Committee
- Oregon Health Care Association (Long-Term Care)
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Oregon Medical Association
LIFE SCIENCES AND MEDICAL DEVICES
Dental diagnostic technology
Diagnostics and therapeutics
Genetically modified plants/feed
Glucose monitoring sensors
Large and small molecules
Nucleic acid sequencing
Ophthalmic surgical tools
SAR for drug design
HIGH TECH AND MANUFACTURING
Digital signal processing
Micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS)
Health information technology
- Created Oregon’s first Accountable Care Organization (ACO) qualified for participation in the Medicare Shared Savings Program.
- Represent hospitals and specialty medical groups in joint ventures, both for-profit and charitable, and physician-hospital organization (PHO) formations.
- Advise on acquisition of physician practices, physician recruitment and employment, and compliance with the Stark and Anti-Kickback laws and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Represent numerous clients nationally in state and federal governmental investigations.
- Provide HIPAA compliance advice and data breach coaching.
- Represent hospitals and clinics in anti-trust litigation, unfair trade practices litigation and contract disputes, as well as individual clients in peer review disputes and licensure matters for the health professions.
- Assist clients in drafting, submitting and obtaining approval for "Form A" filings with Oregon Insurance Division.
- Drafted form insurance policies and applications for insurance clients, including Affordable Care Act "Qualified Health Plans,” and life settlement contracts.
- Created one of the nation’s first Patient Safety Organizations to enable the aggregation and analysis of clinical data from a dozen specialty practices nationwide.
- Prosecute patents for major universities and medical schools involving technologies ranging from medical devices to diagnostics/assays to treatments to biochemical and pharmaceutical innovations.
- Represent Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications directed to medical devices, diagnostics, therapeutics, drug delivery and imaging.
- Assisted medical device company RevMedx with the development and prosecution of its patent portfolio. We successfully guided RevMedx through the process to obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a device that can instantly plug bullet wounds to prevent victims from bleeding out before medical help arrives), an invention that was named an Invention of the Year by Popular Science.
One secret to their success is a productive and collaborative relationship with medical staff.
- Privately Held Businesses & Enterprises
- Corporate Restructuring, Bankruptcy, and Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- Receivers, Receiverships & Trustees
- Unsecured Creditors’ Committees and Other Creditor Representation
- Business and Corporate
- Employment, Labor and Benefits
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
- Financial Institutions
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tax and Estate Planning
- Securities and Finance
- Land Use and Entitlement
- Tax Planning
- International Business
- Tax Controversy
- Corporate Formation and Governance
- Plant Development, Facility Siting and Permitting
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Acquisition and Disposition
- Trusts and Estate Planning
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour
- Employment Litigation
Resources & Ideas
- Portland, Oregon
- Portland, Oregon
- 1211 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 1900, Portland, OR 97204
- Chicago, Illinois
- Portland, Oregon
- Sunriver, Oregon
- Innovation Day 2022
- Puget Sound Business Journal
- Seattle Times
- Digital Health Legal
- The Health Lawyer
- Portland Business Journal
- King County Bar Bulletin
- Portland Business Journal
- Katherine AcostaAssociate
- Gary BruceOf Counsel
- Farron CurryShareholder
- Scott EadsShareholder
- Dan EllerShareholder
- James EstesShareholder
- Jonathan FrenchAttorney
- Kelly HaganShareholder
- Darius HartwellShareholder
- Amy HillShareholder
- Ricki HisawSenior Industry Group Manager
- Mark LongChair Emeritus and Shareholder
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder
- Maria SchmidlkoferShareholder
REPRESENTED BY SCHWABE
Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry Clients
- Academic health centers
- Ambulatory surgery centers
- Assisted living and long-term care facilities
- Bioscience research institutions
- Biotech manufacturers
- Community care
- Hospital and health systems
- Laboratories and diagnostic imaging centers
- Medical device makers
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Physicians, medical groups, and dentists
- Research accelerators