- Biotech and Medical Device
- Standards-Setting and Trade Organizations
- Social Impact
For decades, Schwabe has been a key driver, leader and contributor to the region’s growing technology sector.
We empower makers and visionaries
We understand that innovative companies need innovative counsel, and fast-growing companies need a team that can support them at every stage—from emerging startups to established global companies. Our clients run the gamut, from software and e-commerce, to hardware, biotech and medical devices.
With you every step of the way
Our tech industry team is structured to handle all your legal needs throughout your business life cycle, so you can focus on inventing and commercializing world-changing technology. We can guide you through every phase of growth and every challenge, including:
In-house perspective and industry leadership
We bring a wealth of practical, “on-the-ground” experience to every client relationship. Before joining Schwabe, we worked at new-economy and technology companies as engineers, program managers, researchers, teachers, industry leaders, technology consultants and in-house counsel. Many serve on boards and committees of technology industry organizations, and as general counsel to standard-setting trade associations, making connections that provide unparalleled value to our clients.
- Serve as lead counsel for Audio Precision for matters including corporate finance and securities, M&A and joint venture transactions, board governance and fiduciary duty, global expansion, trademark and licensing, executive compensation, employment law and litigation, immigration and dispute resolution.
- Represent SureID on all facets of corporate and product branding and trademark matters, including their renaming of the company from Eid Passport to SureID. We also counsel SureID on supply and service contracts and other technology-related initiatives.
- Strategically develop and leverage a valuable and growing worldwide patent and trademark portfolio for Prolifiq. We also review and draft master service and non‐disclosure agreements, counsel on immigration and employment matters and provide litigation services.
- Serve as outside general counsel to the Audio Engineering Society and numerous other standard-setting trade organizations, representing them on all of their legal needs, including employment advice, copyright and music licensing issues.
- Served as lead counsel for Kryptiq Corporation (now dba Surescripts Enterprise Services and Enli Health Intelligence) for all legal matters, including corporate finance and securities, venture capital, M&A and joint venture transactions, board governance and fiduciary duty issues, all intellectual property issues (including trademark, patent, patent defense and licensing), spin-off of a major division, executive compensation, privacy issues, employment law, and litigation and dispute resolution issues.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications for Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) directed to medical devices, diagnostics, therapeutics, drug delivery and imaging.
- Helped RevMedx obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a device that instantly plugs bullet wounds to prevent victims from bleeding out before medical help arrives), a Popular Science Invention of the Year, and continue to assist with development and prosecution of the company’s patent portfolio.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in multiple competitor patent litigations regarding transducers, medical monitor design and intravascular guide wire design.
- Counsel leading-edge software development and technology staffing companies across the Pacific Northwest on immigration issues.
- Prepare employment agreements for technology companies, including commission, non-disclosure, non-competition, non-solicitation, IP assignment and arbitration agreements. Obtain temporary restraining orders when employees leave in violation of restrictive covenants.
- Represent technology companies in trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty cases when employees leave with confidential information or take corporate opportunities to new businesses.
- Advise a standards-setting organization on antitrust compliance.
Airbiquity – Setting the Pace of Connected Car InnovationNovember 14, 2016
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Intellectual Property
- Business and Corporate
- Financial Institutions
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Employment, Labor and Benefits
- Indian Law
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate
- Transactions, Licensing and E-commerce
- Securities and Finance
- IP Litigation
- Trademarks, Copyrights, Marketing and Advertising
- Land Use and Entitlement
- Tax Planning
- International Business
- Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights and Corporate Restructuring
- Tax Controversy
- Corporate Formation and Governance
- Plant Development, Facility Siting and Permitting
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Acquisition and Disposition
- Trusts and Estate Planning
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour
- Employment Litigation
Resources & Ideas
- Portland, OR
- Salem, Oregon
- Portland, Oregon
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, 1211 SW 5th Avenue, 19th Floor, Portland, OR 97204
- 1211 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 1900, Portland, OR 97204
- Jama Software
- Portland, Oregon
- Portland Schwabe Office
- Portland, Oregon
- Portland, Oregon
- Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd, Tigard, OR
- Hotel deLuxe, 729 SW 15th Ave, Portland, OR 97205
- Ruby Receptionists
- Barcelona, Spain
- Bellevue Club: 11200 Southeast 6th Street Bellevue, WA 98004
- Puget Sound Business Journal
- King County Bar Bulletin
- Portland Business Journal
- Abdul AbdullahiAssociate
- Ruby AlexanderShareholder
- Jean Ohman BackOf Counsel
- Alexandra BodnarAssociate
- Gillian Bunker, Ph.D.Shareholder
- Michael A. CofieldSenior Counsel
- Michael CohenShareholder
- Omar ContrerasAssociate
- Scott EadsShareholder
- James EdwardsAssociate
- Colin FolawnShareholder
- Kelly HaganShareholder
- Darius HartwellShareholder
- Bruce HowellIndustry Group Leader
- Juan JassoAssociate
- Cecilia JeongAssociate
- Donald Krahmer, Jr.Shareholder
- Joanna LeeOf Counsel
- Brenna LegaardIndustry Group Leader
- Trevor LivingstonShareholder
- Amanda Loupin-BartlettAssociate
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Jeffrey S. MarlinkAssociate
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Craig RussilloShareholder
- Lisa SchauresShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder
- Yvonne TingleafShareholder
- Cristin WagnerOf Counsel
- Jonathan WardAssociate