Alaska Native Corporations
Schwabe supports the missions of Alaska Native Corporations, which serve their Alaska Native shareholders by working to maximize their economic growth, protect ancestral lands, preserve Alaska Native cultures, and enhance their communities.
Schwabe assists Alaska Native Corporations as they work to positively impact their communities. Our Alaska-based attorneys have more than 100 combined years of experience serving as in-house counsel and outside general counsel for Alaska Native Corporations, and understand the unique legal issues that Alaska Native Corporations face.
With experience deeply rooted in Alaska, we advise Alaska Native Corporations and their subsidiaries on a wide range of issues, including government contracting; shareholder relations and corporate governance; business transactions; Small Business Administration business development programs, such the SBA’s 8(a) and HUBZone programs; land use and royalty agreements; tax; mergers and acquisitions; real estate; risk management; litigation; shareholder rights; employment; and labor relations.
Schwabe’s attorneys have worked in collaboration with a number of Alaska Native Corporations to protect their long-term interests, assisting in matters involving shareholder rights, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA), including ANCSA Settlement Trust tax issues, environmental enhancement, and real property disputes involving complex ANCSA issues.
Our Alaska-based attorneys have recognized experience in the creation, operation, and leveraging of ANCSA Settlement Trusts and lands matters, and the significant tax benefits that such Settlement Trusts can provide to Alaska Native Corporations and their shareholders.
- Represented several ANCs on the creation of a new Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) settlement trust and substantive amendments to an existing ANCSA settlement trust.
- Represented an ANC in real property disputes with the state and private parties under the ANCSA.
- Developed a land use plan governing 70,000 acres in remote Alaska.
- Assisted in development and promotion of legislation beneficial to ANCs, including the ANC Settlement Trust tax legislation passed in 2017.
- Represented an ANC Village Corporation in defending its U.S.C. § 14(c) procedure and conveyances.
- Represented multiple ANCs regarding improper proxy solicitations for annual election of directors by shareholders.
- Advising ANCs with respect to all aspects of annual shareholder meetings.
- Providing guidance on the intricacies of the SBA 8(a) Business Development Program.
Resources & Ideas
- Alaska Journal of Commerce
- Puget Sound Business Journal
- American Bar Association: Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources - Native American Resources Committee Newsletter
- Law 360
- Brien FlanaganShareholder
- Ricki HisawSenior Industry Group Manager
- Jeff KeohaneOf Counsel
- Sarah Roubidoux LawsonShareholder
- Connie Sue MartinIndustry Group Leader
- Peter ScullyOf Counsel
- Matthew SingerShareholder
- Christopher SlotteeIndustry Group Leader
- Kayla TannerAssociate
- Howard TrickeyShareholder