Biotech and Medical Device
- Biotech and Medical Device
- Technology Standards and Open Source
- Social Impact
Schwabe offers biotech and medical device companies a legal team with broad technical knowledge and an entrepreneurial spirit to match their own.
We know your science
With deep experience in the biotech and medical device industries, our lawyers are skilled navigators of the domestic and foreign laws and regulations that govern your business. Many have worked in, and have doctoral, post-doctoral and undergraduate training in:
- Cell biology
- Dental devices
- Medical and biological imaging techniques
- Medical devices, particularly in the field of cardiology
- Medical diagnostics
- Molecular biology
- Plant biology
- Veterinary science
Successful alliances start here
We’ve represented the full range of parties involved in bioscience transactions and alliances, from private sector companies to universities and other nonprofit research institutions. Our knowledge of their strategies, pressures and goals helps us achieve optimal strategic alliances for our clients, including:
- Bioscience start-ups and corporations
- Medical device innovators and manufacturers
- Research universities and hospitals
- Nonprofit bioscience research institutions
- Plant breeders
- Chemical companies
- Agricultural companies
Comprehensive legal services for every stage
Whether you are a nonprofit research institution, a bioscience start-up or an established medical device company, our full-service team can handle all your legal needs. Our corporate and tax attorneys assist with formation, funding/capital investment, joint ventures, and corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Our intellectual property attorneys help protect your IP rights in the United States and abroad. We prepare and prosecute patent and trademark applications, negotiate licensing agreements, research collaborations, technology transfer and other commercialization arrangements, and enforce your intellectual property rights through litigation where necessary.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications for Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) directed to medical devices, diagnostics, therapeutics, drug delivery and imaging.
- Helped RevMedx obtain its first patent on X-Stat (a device that instantly plugs bullet wounds to prevent victims from bleeding out before medical help arrives), a Popular Science Invention of the Year, and continue to assist with development and prosecution of the company’s patent portfolio.
- Successfully defended a closely held company before the Oregon District Court in a patent infringement suit launched by a global medical device company, obtaining a judgment as a matter of law and the reversal of an $85-million jury verdict against our client.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in multiple competitor patent litigations regarding transducers, medical monitor design and intravascular guide wire design.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for a large medical device company accused of infringing patents directed to a genetically modified reverse transcriptase.
- Advised a prominent physician and renowned researcher as they developed a disruptive technology and partnered with a global medical device company to develop it, including joint development agreements and patent work.
Resources & Ideas
- Portland Business Journal
- Jean Ohman BackOf Counsel
- Gillian Bunker, Ph.D.Shareholder
- Scott EadsShareholder
- Kelly HaganShareholder
- Bruce HowellIndustry Group Leader
- Brenna LegaardShareholder
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Lisa SchauresShareholder