Food and Beverage
Schwabe provides coordinated, creative solutions for food and beverage processors, distributors and retailers.
Service tailored to your complex and evolving legal needs
Food and beverage companies face a range of obstacles, from ever-shifting regulations and consumer demand, to managing the consequences of changes in the economy and developing technology. Supply-chain complexities, expansion into global markets, and low product margins further complicate matters. Even slight changes in the weather can have major implications for business success. In this highly competitive and evolving industry, Schwabe provides guidance tailored to your particular needs and the unique forces and demands at play.
A full-service law firm for food and beverage companies
Schwabe was recently recognized by the Portland Business Journal for its “established and thriving food and beverage practice.” We provide counsel in virtually all key areas of law that affect food and beverage companies, including:
- Corporate law and strategic transactions
- Intellectual property and marketing claims
- Food safety and regulatory compliance, including labeling, nutritional information and health claims, food-safety protocols, voluntary product recalls and government enforcement actions
- Product liability and consumer-based claims and litigation
- Business relationships and disputes, including distribution agreements, supplier and vendor contracts, supply-chain relationships and documentation, and commercial litigation
- Natural resources and environmental law
- Employment and labor law
- Real estate transactions
- Advised food and beverage manufacturers on labeling, safety, licensing and other regulatory compliance issues, including product labels and claims, food-safety plans and procedures, licensing and permitting.
- Assisted food and beverage manufacturers with voluntary product recalls or market withdrawals and defend against government enforcement actions.
- Defended one of the world’s largest privately owned food manufacturers in lawsuit by a former employee alleging employment discrimination and violations of the federal and state Medical Leave Acts.
- Helped a food processor litigate claims against an equipment manufacturer for defective equipment. Obtained an expedited resolution that included prompt repair of the defective equipment, minimizing loss of productivity for our client.
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business and Corporate
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
- Indian Law
- Transactions, Licensing and E-commerce
- Securities and Finance
- IP Litigation
- Trademarks, Copyrights, Marketing and Advertising
- Corporate Formation and Governance
Resources & Ideas
- Portland Business Journal
- Rebecca BoyetteAssociate
- Michael CohenShareholder
- Farron CurryShareholder
- Thomas DulcichShareholder
- James EdwardsAssociate
- Darius HartwellShareholder
- Michael HerbstShareholder
- Sarah Roubidoux LawsonOf Counsel
- Alex PoustShareholder
- Yvonne TingleafShareholder