Pacific Northwest real estate faces the unique challenges of a booming regional market—affordability, evolving regulations, conservation issues, and simply finding land available to develop. Schwabe’s one-stop industry team helps you meet these challenges with integrated, efficient counsel for every facet of your business.
How we serve real estate leaders
In one place, with one call, lawyers who know the Pacific Northwest real estate market can advise you on everything from entity formation, equity raising, and tax strategies to land use entitlements and leasing. We serve participants across the industry, including owners, developers, investors, lenders, and lessors of commercial, industrial, hospitality, and office properties.
Our clients reach new heights and push boundaries across the region. Because time is the enemy of all deals, we fast-track negotiations and create novel, practical solutions.
Lofty goals, realized
For more than 100 years, we have assisted clients with signature projects throughout the region. Our experience covers new and historic asset classes, from waterfronts and bare land to Class-A office towers, industrial campuses, mixed-use buildings, and residential skyscrapers.
The Pacific Northwest’s transformation into a world-class real estate market has upped already high stakes. Real estate visionaries rely on our industry focus to position them ahead of new competitive pressures.
Boots on your ground
Real estate has always been a profoundly local business. Schwabe’s deep roots in the Pacific Northwest help you anticipate market cycles and plan for the future. Wherever real estate ambitions encounter an obstacle, our team covers all the angles.
We prepare solutions to regulatory and government demands. Immersion in the real estate community informs our guidance on corporate concerns and identification of risks you and your organization face. To position you for where the market is headed, we act at the first sign of conflict—from disputes in partnership agreements and employment claims to obligations for environmental liability and more.
Schwabe’s experience and connection with local agencies and decision makers spans decades. And we connect clients through our leadership and participation in key industry groups, such as:
- American College of Real Estate Attorneys
- American Planning Association of Oregon (OAPA)
- City of Bellevue Planning Commission
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Downtown Seattle Association (DSA)
- Hearing Examiners Association of Washington
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Represent numerous Fortune 500 companies that own and lease Class-A office space across the Pacific Northwest.
- Handled leasing for the Exchange Building in downtown Seattle and represented the owner in the eventual sale of the property.
- Represented the purchaser of a portfolio of six Portland central business district office buildings, assisted in the management and leasing of these buildings, and handled the resale of the portfolio to two separate institutional purchasers.
- Represented the seller in the negotiation and sale of a 122,000 square foot medical office building in Springfield, Oregon.
- Assisted with the financing and construction of new and rehabilitated office buildings throughout the region.
- Handled leasing of office space in Pacific Northwest business parks for a publicly traded company with a national property management and leasing portfolio of 160 million square feet.
- Represent a large state pension fund in connection with leasing a medical office building in Seattle.
Resources & Ideas
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon
- Matthew BisturisShareholder
- Carson BowlerShareholder
- Omar ContrerasAssociate
- Heather CunninghamShareholder
- Dan EllerShareholder
- Audrea FinkIndustry Group Manager (non-attorney)
- Michael HerbstShareholder
- Sarah Roubidoux LawsonOf Counsel
- Alison MossShareholder
- Virginia NicholsonAttorney
- Russel RobertsonShareholder
- Charmin ShielyShareholder
- Garrett StephensonShareholder
- Thomas TongueShareholder
- M. John WayShareholder
Representing institutional landlords and asset manages who own or operate millions of square feet of commercial space in OR
17 women attorneys
Industry group covers 28 services in 7 locations
Integrated services for real estate clients
- Acquisitions and dispositions
- Community development
- Condos and homeowners associations (HOA)
- Construction and other contracts
- Corporate formation and governance
- Development and construction contracting
- Entity formation, single purpose entity (SPE)
- Environmental compliance
- Equity raising
- Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA)
- Joint ventures and M&A
- Land use (entitlements, permits, and zoning)
- Real estate excise tax
- Resolving claims and disputes
- Succession and business planning
- Tax planning and incentives
- Title issues