2019 Chambers USA Rankings Give Schwabe High Marks
PORTLAND, Ore. – April 26, 2019 – Leading Pacific Northwest law firm Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt has been recognized for excellence by Chambers & Partners, the world’s most used legal services guide by in-house counsel. In Chambers USA’s 2019 rankings, Schwabe is identified as an industry leader in six practice areas: Corporate/M&A, Environment, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, General Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate. Schwabe’s Intellectual Property practice received Chambers’ highest ranking for the fourth year in a row, Oregon Real Estate group moved up one band, and several Schwabe attorneys earned greater individual rankings including a new ranking for Michael Herbst.
“We are pleased to be acknowledged by Chambers and be highly regarded by our clients in the 2019 rankings. To see success in our approach of immersion into industries and deep knowledge of our clients’ work is incredibly affirming,” said Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt. “We pride ourselves on being a valuable partner, putting our clients first. It is great to see this reflected in this year’s rankings.”
Chambers is one of the definitive sources for law firm and attorney rankings due to its extensive market research and in-depth interviews with legal influencers and client representatives. According to a survey of in-house counsel, 51 percent rely on Chambers’ rankings for guidance on hiring firms and attorneys.
Chambers ranks a firm’s practice areas based on the qualities of the attorneys and on the effectiveness and capability of the practice as a whole. As part of Chambers’ research, significant outreach is also conducted to each firm’s clients in order to generate qualitative findings. Below are Chambers’ summaries of Schwabe’s practice areas and attorneys as well as select comments Chambers received from Schwabe clients:
- Possesses significant knowledge and expertise in sectors including timberland, maritime and healthcare. Acts for a broad range of clients, from major multinationals to family-owned companies.
- Sources comment on the strong business knowledge of the firm, stating: “They quickly understood the business issues I was facing and were able to advise accordingly."
- Highly proficient outfit offering strength in water law issues, forestry and environmental litigation.
- Robust client base includes those involved in the manufacturing, natural resource and transportation industries. Offers wide-ranging advice on permitting, compliance and liability.
- Also offers niche expertise in matters at the intersection of environmental law and Native American law.
- Acclaimed IP practice capable of providing a wide range of patent, trademark, litigation and licensing advice. Client base includes many leading Northwest companies from a number of industries, including technology, healthcare and manufacturing. Noted for the depth of talent possessed by its bench, with recognized expertise in strategic counseling and prosecution issues.
- One client enthuses: “The firm has been a great partner for us. I appreciate their responsiveness, communication, quality of work and efficiency. I’m confident they understand our business priorities and tailor their advice accordingly.”
- Impressed interviewees appreciate the team’s“excellent, sensible, practical advice” and “their understanding of the international landscape for IP.”
- Well-known labor practice advising on union election campaigns and collective bargaining.
- Experienced in representing clients from sectors such as technology, financial services, transportation and natural resources.
- A client values the firm’s“quick responses, follow-up and exceptional advice.”
- A source reports that the firm is“engaged, focused and responsive.”
- Relied on by clients from the maritime, manufacturing and technology sectors, among others.
- A client reports that the firm“develops a solid understanding of issues and provides strategic options to move forward with,” adding that it demonstrates “strong customer service.”
- Well-regarded real estate practice skilled in developments, leasings and financings in the industrial, office and residential spaces. Also known for work on construction, timberland and land use issues. Experience engaging in novel real estate projects in the education sector.
- “I really like Schwabe for its practical approach and efficiency,” says one client.
- “I value their candid, transparent communication style, and the fact that they keep our guiding principles in mind when developing legal strategies with us,” says a source.
In addition to the six practice areas cited above, 20 individual Schwabe attorneys were singled out as industry leaders based on their legal knowledge and experience, their ability, their effectiveness, and their client services. These Schwabe attorneys are:
- Jamee B. Asher
- David F. Bartz Jr.
- Carmen M. Calzacorta
- Michael A. Cohen
- Scott D. Eads
- Brien J. Flanagan
- Gregory D. Fullem
- Michael T. Garone
- John D. Guinasso
- Michael A. Herbst
- Peter E. Heuser
- Bradley D. Maier
- Mark A. Manulik
- Martha O. Pagel
- Joel A. Parker
- Steven J. Prewitt
- Michael C. Robinson
- Elizabeth A. Schleuning
- Mark A. Stayer
- Tom Tongue
The full 2019 rankings can be accessed at www.chambers.com.
About Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt is a law firm that offers a new type of client experience based on a deep industry focus. We provide a wide range of legal services to our clients through comprehensive, proactive, and industry-focused advice to help them achieve their goals. We focus on six industry groups: healthcare and life sciences; technology; transportation, ports, and maritime; real estate and construction; natural resources; and manufacturing, distribution, and retail. With more than 175 attorneys, Schwabe is one of the largest Pacific Northwest regional law firms, with offices in Portland, Eugene, Bend, and Salem, Oregon; Seattle and Vancouver, Washington; Mountain View, California; and Anchorage, Alaska.
- David Bartz, Jr.Chair Emeritus
- Carmen CalzacortaShareholder
- Michael CohenIndustry Group Leader
- Scott Eads
- Brien FlanaganIndustry Group Leader
- Greg FullemShareholder
- Michael GaroneShareholder
- Michael HerbstShareholder
- Peter HeuserShareholder
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Mark ManulikShareholder
- Joel ParkerShareholder
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Michael RobinsonShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder
- Mark StayerShareholder
- Thomas TongueShareholder