Schwabe News Archive
- How a Feud Over Two Jobs Tipped the West Coast Longshore Union Toward BankruptcyLos Angeles TimesNovember 29, 2019
The ILWU staged slowdowns at the Port of Portland and flouted federal court orders. The resulting chaos caused international shipping lines to abandon Portland, ending Oregon-based cargo service for exporters as far inland as Idaho’s Snake River.
- Study: Boom Time For ConstructionOregon BusinessNovember 22, 2019
Partnering with Portland marketing agency Kinesis, law firm Schwabe, Williamson and Wyatt published a forward-looking study this fall, 'Commercial Real Estate & Construction in the Pacific Northwest,' which took the temperature of the 2019 commercial real estate and construction climate.
- Identity Clark County Names Matthew Bisturis as Ed Lynch Honorary DirectorIdentity Clark CountyNovember 19, 2019
The business leaders group Identity Clark County has selected Matthew Bisturis to fill the Ed
Lynch Board Seat, a one-year courtesy appointment to the group’s Board of Directors for 2020.
- In Landmark Labor Case, Jury Awards $93.6 Million in Damages to Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Client, ICTSI Oregon, Inc.November 13, 2019
Jury awards $93.6 Million to former operator of Port’s Terminal 6 for losses due to dock workers’ illegal labor slowdowns.
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Honored by Best Law Firms in 38 Categories November 7, 2019
Schwabe has proudly sustained its National Tier 1 Timber ranking since 2011 and has been named Timber “Law Firm of the Year” in 2020, 2018, 2015, 2013, and 2012. Schwabe was additionally honored with a National Tier 1 Natural Resources Law ranking.
- Schwabe Mourns the Loss of Friend and Colleague Steve FordNovember 6, 2019
It is with great sadness that Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt announces the sudden passing of our dear friend and colleague, Steve Ford. Those of us at Schwabe will remember Steve’s creative approach to work, dry wit, and love of the outdoors.
- Jury Awards $93.6 Million to Former Operator of Port’s Terminal 6 for Losses due to Dock Workers’ Unlawful Labor PracticesThe OregonianNovember 5, 2019
A federal jury awarded $93.6 million to the former operator of the Port of Portland’s container terminal, finding the dock workers union sabotaged shipping traffic and caused productivity to plummet through years of labor slowdowns and stoppages.
- Jury Gives Port Operator $93.6M For Workers' Illegal BoycottsLaw360November 5, 2019
A former Oregon port operator scored a $93.6 million verdict after a federal jury determined that unlawful boycotts carried out by the port's union-backed dock workers caused business to take a nosedive.
- Photos: Spotlight shines on Women of VisionDaily Journal of CommerceOctober 31, 2019
The awards honor women who are shaping the built environment with their leadership, mentoring efforts, community involvement and promotion of industry diversity. Schwabe's Paige Spratt and Charmin Shiely were among the honorees.
- Amy Hanks Cornelius Joins Schwabe’s Real Estate and Construction Industry GroupOctober 31, 2019
Key new team member adds depth to group’s industry-focused practice.
- 2019 Women of Vision Award Winner, Paige SprattDaily Journal of CommerceOctober 25, 2019
As a shareholder at Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Paige Spratt brings real-world construction expertise to each client she works with. She works creatively with her clients to handle arbitrations and a variety of lawsuits, including those that range from lien foreclosures, construction claims, and complex breach of contract claims.
- 2019 Women of Vision Award Winner, Charmin ShielyDaily Journal of CommerceOctober 25, 2019
Charmin Shiely is a shareholder and business attorney with Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt. Her work in the real estate industry is significant, where she helps with purchase and sale transactions, equity and debt financing, corporate structuring, licensing, and much more.
- Survey reveals industry firm’s optimism, challengesDaily Journal of CommerceOctober 22, 2019
A large-scale survey of Pacific Northwest real estate and construction professionals found widespread concern with environmental and housing regulation, and health care costs.
- New Study Shows Strong Confidence in Pacific Northwest Commercial Real Estate and Construction MarketOctober 1, 2019
Schwabe commissioned a survey with the American City Business Journals to explore attitudes and behaviors and to uncover industry trends and insights. Over 700 participants responded to the survey, evenly spread across Washington and Oregon.
- Business Leaders Express Confidence in Washington’s Construction and Commercial Real Estate SectorsSeattle Business MagazineOctober 1, 2019
The strong, diversified Puget Sound economy should help the region ride out an anticipated nationwide downturn, survey respondents say
- William F. Abrams Strengthens Schwabe’s Technology Industry GroupSeptember 16, 2019
IP, Technology, and Business Law Attorney Adds Even More Depth to Schwabe’s Industry Focus
- Shippers Sue Over Port FeeSeptember 15, 2019
David Boyajian, a ship captain and attorney with Schwabe, wrote the fee “bears no relationship to costs created by or services provided to passing vessels. Indeed, the vessels do not cost the Port a penny, nor do they request or receive any benefits or services from the Port of Astoria — they just get a bill.”
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Kinesis to Host Commercial Real Estate and Construction SymposiumSeptember 13, 2019
Come learn from the insights of over 700 industry veterans who’ve shared their thoughts and strategies for the coming year.
- 2019 Women of Vision award winners namedSeptember 9, 2019
Scwabe attorneys, Charmin Shiely and Paige B Spratt, recognized as 2019 Women of Vision Award winners represent clients in the Real Estate and Construction, Healthcare and Life Sciences, and Transportation, Ports and Maritime industry groups.
- 45 Schwabe Attorneys Make the List of Best Lawyers in America© for 2020August 15, 2019
Schwabe attorneys recognized on the 2020 Best Lawyers in America list represent clients across the firm’s six core industry groups.
- Symantec, Cyber Standards Org Delete Lab's Antitrust SuitLaw360August 14, 2019
"It's a voluntary standard and NSS is free to ignore it," Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt PC's Brenna K. Legaard told Law360, arguing that a ruling against the organization could have chilled participation in standard-setting groups that could have found themselves open to liability.
- Angie Otto & Paige Spratt - Associated General Contractors Summer Convention PodcastPamplin Media GroupAugust 14, 2019
Angie Otto of Ball Janik and Paige Spratt of Schwabe, Williamson and Wyatt at the AGC Summer Convention at Salishan Resort.
- Obesity is Now a Protected Class in WashingtonVancouver Business JournalAugust 5, 2019
Jean Back, Of Counsel with Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt, is the advocacy director for the Southwest Washington Society for Human Resources Management and an officer on the board of the Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership.
- Bert Ray Named to Alaska Super Lawyers for the Eighth YearAugust 1, 2019
Bert Ray recognized as one of the top 5 percent in his field.
- Martha Pagel, former OWRD director, dies at 65Capital PressJuly 31, 2019
Prominent attorney, industry leader, and beloved member of Schwabe passed at age 65.
- Sovereign Immunity Covers Navajo Coal Plant, 9th Circ. SaysLaw360July 29, 2019
"The Ninth Circuit said green groups can't challenge the federal government's approval of a coal-fired plant and mine to continue operating on Navajo land because the plant's owner is a tribal entity and has sovereign immunity status."
- Downtown Seattle Association Welcomes New Board Leadership and MembersDowntown Seattle AssociationJuly 29, 2019
Schwabe CEO Graciela Gomez Cowger joins the Downtown Seattle Association Board of Directors.
- Martha Pagel: Giant of the Oregon Water BarAmerican College of Environmental LawyersJuly 25, 2019
- Schwabe and the Legal Community Mourn the Passing of Martha PagelJuly 23, 2019
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt is saddened to announce the passing of Martha Pagel. Those of us at Schwabe will remember her caring and humble demeanor, strong work ethic, and dedication to the legal community.
- Derrick De Vera's Leadership Tomorrow 2019 Commencement SpeechJuly 10, 2019
Schwabe’s Derrick De Vera represented his Leadership Tomorrow class as graduation speaker. “I’ve learned to build trust and belonging by being more fearless, open, and vulnerable about who I AM. That it’s more than okay to show up FULLY. In fact, there is great influence in that.” Listen to his full speech here.
- 24 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists in 2019Super LawyersJuly 5, 2019
Schwabe Oregon attorneys recognized as being in the top 2.5 percent of their field.
- Graciela Gomez Cowger Selected to National Influencers ListJuly 2, 2019
Schwabe's CEO Graciela Gomez Cowger selected to a national list of notable attorneys. The Business Journals’ Influencers: Law spotlights attorneys who are driving business for their employers, and for their clients, in cities across the country.
- Chamber Honors WIBLI Awards Winners For Achievements Advancing Gender EquityJune 24, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, received the WIBLI Female Leader of the Year Award, honoring exemplary leadership traits and significant contributions to gender equity in our region.
- Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Condos Coming to Downtown Food Cart Pod SiteThe OregonianJune 20, 2019
Congratulations to BPM Real Estate Group on their most recent project - bringing the Ritz-Carlton, additional office space, and luxury condos to Portland. Schwabe is proud to have worked with BPM on such a successful project.
- 15 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to the 2019 Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsSuper LawyersJune 11, 2019
Schwabe Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top five percent of their field.
- Under Construction Podcast: Expect Nothing, Appreciate EverythingMay 13, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, discusses her childhood in Tijuana, Mexico, what it means to be CEO of a law firm, and the beginning of a surprising hobby.
- 2019 Chambers USA Rankings Give Schwabe High MarksApril 26, 2019
In Chamber USA’s 2019 rankings, Schwabe is identified as an industry leader in six practice areas: Corporate/M&A, Environment, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, General Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate.
- 3 Takeaways on the Current State of ManufacturingMarch 21, 2019
The results of this survey reveal insights into the current state of manufacturing, what the main concerns are, and what we, as economic developers, should keep an eye on going forward.
- Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro AreaPortland Business JournalMarch 7, 2019
Schwabe ranks #2 on Portland Business Journal’s annual Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro Area list. Click here to learn more about our Real Estate and Construction industry group.
- Schwabe Strengthens Industry Focus with Promotion of Three Attorneys to ShareholderMarch 5, 2019
- Meet the PBJ's 2019 Women of Influence Class: Graciela Gomez Cowger HonoredFebruary 26, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger named one of Portland Business Journal's Women of Influence for making "major splashes in the legal field."
- PTAB Tosses Columbia Fabric IP Challenge Due to Time BarLaw360February 21, 2019
“Columbia is pleased with the PTAB’s decision, which recognizes that Ventex filed the IPRs as a proxy for, on behalf of, and for the benefit of Seirus, which was apparently done to circumvent statutory requirements,” said Nika Aldrich.
- Portland Area Breast Milk Maker Scores Patent Victory in Federal CourtPortland Business JournalFebruary 14, 2019
A Wilsonville maker of breast milk-based food for preterm infants scored a victory in its lawsuit against a larger competitor.
- How Midsize Firms Can Prioritize Partner Diversity Past "Checking the Box"Law.comFebruary 14, 2019
Cowger, who is Hispanic, took the reins at Schwabe in 2017. She said her firm leads by example, given that “we are one of the few firms that has a person of color leading it.”
- PBJ Executives of the Year 2018: Graciela Gomez Cowger of Schwabe, Williamson & WyattFebruary 7, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger is helping Schwabe retain its status as one of the city's go-to business firms.
- Experts Say Tech Trends Will Hit Bend Real Estate MarketThe BulletinFebruary 7, 2019
Autonomous vehicles, i-buyers could change the industry.
- Columbia Sportswear Sues Seirus, Ventex for Patent Challenge FraudBloomberg LawJanuary 30, 2019
Columbia sued Seirus and Ventex Jan. 29 in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon for conspiring to commit fraud, abusing court process, and violating federal and Oregon state racketeering laws.