Schwabe News Archive
- William F. Abrams Strengthens Schwabe’s Technology Industry GroupSeptember 16, 2019
IP, Technology, and Business Law Attorney Adds Even More Depth to Schwabe’s Industry Focus
- Shippers Sue Over Port FeeSeptember 15, 2019
David Boyajian, a ship captain and attorney with Schwabe, wrote the fee “bears no relationship to costs created by or services provided to passing vessels. Indeed, the vessels do not cost the Port a penny, nor do they request or receive any benefits or services from the Port of Astoria — they just get a bill.”
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Kinesis to Host Commercial Real Estate and Construction SymposiumSeptember 13, 2019
Come learn from the insights of over 700 industry veterans who’ve shared their thoughts and strategies for the coming year.
- 2019 Women of Vision award winners namedSeptember 9, 2019
Scwabe attorneys, Charmin Shiely and Paige B Spratt, recognized as 2019 Women of Vision Award winners represent clients in the Real Estate and Construction, Healthcare and Life Sciences, and Transportation, Ports and Maritime industry groups.
- 45 Schwabe Attorneys Make the List of Best Lawyers in America© for 2020August 15, 2019
Schwabe attorneys recognized on the 2020 Best Lawyers in America list represent clients across the firm’s six core industry groups.
- Symantec, Cyber Standards Org Delete Lab's Antitrust SuitLaw360August 14, 2019
"It's a voluntary standard and NSS is free to ignore it," Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt PC's Brenna K. Legaard told Law360, arguing that a ruling against the organization could have chilled participation in standard-setting groups that could have found themselves open to liability.
- Angie Otto & Paige Spratt - Associated General Contractors Summer Convention PodcastPamplin Media GroupAugust 14, 2019
Angie Otto of Ball Janik and Paige Spratt of Schwabe, Williamson and Wyatt at the AGC Summer Convention at Salishan Resort.
- Obesity is Now a Protected Class in WashingtonVancouver Business JournalAugust 5, 2019
Jean Back, Of Counsel with Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt, is the advocacy director for the Southwest Washington Society for Human Resources Management and an officer on the board of the Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership.
- Bert Ray Named to Alaska Super Lawyers for the Eighth YearAugust 1, 2019
Bert Ray recognized as one of the top 5 percent in his field.
- Martha Pagel, former OWRD director, dies at 65Capital PressJuly 31, 2019
Prominent attorney, industry leader, and beloved member of Schwabe passed at age 65.
- Sovereign Immunity Covers Navajo Coal Plant, 9th Circ. SaysLaw360July 29, 2019
"The Ninth Circuit said green groups can't challenge the federal government's approval of a coal-fired plant and mine to continue operating on Navajo land because the plant's owner is a tribal entity and has sovereign immunity status."
- Downtown Seattle Association Welcomes New Board Leadership and MembersDowntown Seattle AssociationJuly 29, 2019
Schwabe CEO Graciela Gomez Cowger joins the Downtown Seattle Association Board of Directors.
- Martha Pagel: Giant of the Oregon Water BarAmerican College of Environmental LawyersJuly 25, 2019
- Schwabe and the Legal Community Mourn the Passing of Martha PagelJuly 23, 2019
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt is saddened to announce the passing of Martha Pagel. Those of us at Schwabe will remember her caring and humble demeanor, strong work ethic, and dedication to the legal community.
- Derrick De Vera's Leadership Tomorrow 2019 Commencement SpeechJuly 10, 2019
Schwabe’s Derrick De Vera represented his Leadership Tomorrow class as graduation speaker. “I’ve learned to build trust and belonging by being more fearless, open, and vulnerable about who I AM. That it’s more than okay to show up FULLY. In fact, there is great influence in that.” Listen to his full speech here.
- 24 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists in 2019Super LawyersJuly 5, 2019
Schwabe Oregon attorneys recognized as being in the top 2.5 percent of their field.
- Graciela Gomez Cowger Selected to National Influencers ListJuly 2, 2019
Schwabe's CEO Graciela Gomez Cowger selected to a national list of notable attorneys. The Business Journals’ Influencers: Law spotlights attorneys who are driving business for their employers, and for their clients, in cities across the country.
- Chamber Honors WIBLI Awards Winners For Achievements Advancing Gender EquityJune 24, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, received the WIBLI Female Leader of the Year Award, honoring exemplary leadership traits and significant contributions to gender equity in our region.
- Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Condos Coming to Downtown Food Cart Pod SiteThe OregonianJune 20, 2019
Congratulations to BPM Real Estate Group on their most recent project - bringing the Ritz-Carlton, additional office space, and luxury condos to Portland. Schwabe is proud to have worked with BPM on such a successful project.
- 15 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to the 2019 Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsSuper LawyersJune 11, 2019
Schwabe Washington attorneys recognized as being in the top five percent of their field.
- Real Estate and Construction Industry in the PNW SurveyJune 10, 2019
Are you a leader in the PNW Real Estate and Construction industry?
- Under Construction Podcast: Expect Nothing, Appreciate EverythingMay 13, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, discusses her childhood in Tijuana, Mexico, what it means to be CEO of a law firm, and the beginning of a surprising hobby.
- 2019 Chambers USA Rankings Give Schwabe High MarksApril 26, 2019
In Chamber USA’s 2019 rankings, Schwabe is identified as an industry leader in six practice areas: Corporate/M&A, Environment, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, General Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate.
- 3 Takeaways on the Current State of ManufacturingMarch 21, 2019
The results of this survey reveal insights into the current state of manufacturing, what the main concerns are, and what we, as economic developers, should keep an eye on going forward.
- Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro AreaPortland Business JournalMarch 7, 2019
Schwabe ranks #2 on Portland Business Journal’s annual Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro Area list. Click here to learn more about our Real Estate and Construction industry group.
- Schwabe Strengthens Industry Focus with Promotion of Three Attorneys to ShareholderMarch 5, 2019
- Meet the PBJ's 2019 Women of Influence Class: Graciela Gomez Cowger HonoredFebruary 26, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger named one of Portland Business Journal's Women of Influence for making "major splashes in the legal field."
- PTAB Tosses Columbia Fabric IP Challenge Due to Time BarLaw360February 21, 2019
“Columbia is pleased with the PTAB’s decision, which recognizes that Ventex filed the IPRs as a proxy for, on behalf of, and for the benefit of Seirus, which was apparently done to circumvent statutory requirements,” said Nika Aldrich.
- Portland Area Breast Milk Maker Scores Patent Victory in Federal CourtPortland Business JournalFebruary 14, 2019
A Wilsonville maker of breast milk-based food for preterm infants scored a victory in its lawsuit against a larger competitor.
- How Midsize Firms Can Prioritize Partner Diversity Past "Checking the Box"Law.comFebruary 14, 2019
Cowger, who is Hispanic, took the reins at Schwabe in 2017. She said her firm leads by example, given that “we are one of the few firms that has a person of color leading it.”
- PBJ Executives of the Year 2018: Graciela Gomez Cowger of Schwabe, Williamson & WyattFebruary 7, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger is helping Schwabe retain its status as one of the city's go-to business firms.
- Experts Say Tech Trends Will Hit Bend Real Estate MarketThe BulletinFebruary 7, 2019
Autonomous vehicles, i-buyers could change the industry.
- Columbia Sportswear Sues Seirus, Ventex for Patent Challenge FraudBloomberg LawJanuary 30, 2019
Columbia sued Seirus and Ventex Jan. 29 in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon for conspiring to commit fraud, abusing court process, and violating federal and Oregon state racketeering laws.
- Columbia Sportswear Says Rival Fraudulently Funded IPRsLaw360January 30, 2019
Columbia Sportswear North America Inc. accused rival Seirus Innovative Accessories Inc. in federal court of scheming with its fabric vendor to secretly and illegally fund Patent Trial and Appeal Board challenges.
- After 6-Year Patent Fight, Columbia Slaps Rival with $20 Million Racketeering LawsuitThe OregonianJanuary 30, 2019
What began as a garden variety patent fight for Columbia Sportswear has morphed into a nasty six-year legal battle replete with bitter accusations of fraud, perjury and double-dealing.
- Graciela Gomez Cowger Honored with Portland Business Journal's Executive of the Year AwardJanuary 18, 2019
Graciela is one of 12 executives honored with Portland Business Journal’s 2018 Executive of the Year award.
- Fostering Creativity and Change: Ex-Engineer Graciela Gomez Cowger Brings Innovation and Efficiencies to LawOregon State BarJanuary 9, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger parlayed a successful career as an engineer into a specialty legal practice in intellectual property. Now she is applying those combined backgrounds into leading one of Oregon's largest law firms.
- The Talent Crunch: How to Hire and RetainPuget Sound Business JournalDecember 18, 2018
In a recent survey, more than half of employers and managers said they’re hiring in 2018, but three-quarters said their industries face severe skills shortages.
- Schwabe Ranked #2 on Portland Business Journal's List of Oregon’s Most Admired CompaniesPortland Business JournalDecember 17, 2018
Nearly 1,000 Oregon business leaders determined the region's most-admired businesses.
- 3 Portland Attorneys Talk #MeToo at the One-Year Mark Portland Business JournalDecember 13, 2018
Schwabe attorney Amanda Gamblin shares how the #MeToo movement has affected workplace policies.
- Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt Joins WSG as New Exclusive Member for Oregon, Washington and AlaskaDecember 11, 2018
WSG consists of the highest quality members, each of whom are dedicated to sharing knowledge and building beneficial relationships to best serve clients across practice areas and geographies.
- Thought Leader Forum: Technology and How Innovation Is Changing Portland BusinessPortland Business JournalNovember 30, 2018
Schwabe's Karri K. Bradley joins the panel of experts to discuss trends, their expectations for technology companies, and the challenges ahead.
- Dan Eller receives OSB Taxation Section Pro Bono Award November 20, 2018
Congratulations to Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt partner, Dan Eller, who received the first OSB Taxation Section Pro Bono Award and was elected Chair of the Portland Tax Forum.
- Schwabe Is Nationally Recognized in the 2019 Best Law Firms ListNovember 15, 2018
Schwabe proudly announces top national rankings by U.S. News—Best Law Firms, one of the nation's leading publications in the ranking of law firms and attorneys.
- Core Values Help Vigor Navigate New WatersPortland Business JournalNovember 9, 2018
Interview with Schwabe client Vigor about how the company is driving change in the area of workforce practices.
- How Can Manufacturers Improve and Expand Their Workforce?Oregon BusinessNovember 8, 2018
Out of more than 100 manufacturers surveyed in the Pacific Northwest, over 75% reported the same top-of-mind challenge to growth: attracting and retaining a skilled workforce.
- Tribal Treaty Right May Sway Justices in Wash. Tax FightLaw360November 2, 2018
The U.S. Supreme Court weighed whether a Yakama Nation company should be subject to a Washington state fuel tax during oral arguments over the past week, and attorneys say the tribe's chances for success hinge on the court’s apparent willingness to endorse a strong tribal treaty right to conduct business using off-reservation highways.