Schwabe News Archive
- 3 Takeaways on the Current State of ManufacturingMarch 21, 2019
The results of this survey reveal insights into the current state of manufacturing, what the main concerns are, and what we, as economic developers, should keep an eye on going forward.
- Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro AreaPortland Business JournalMarch 7, 2019
Schwabe ranks #2 on Portland Business Journal’s annual Largest Law Firms Practicing Commercial Real Estate Law in the Portland Metro Area list. Click here to learn more about our Real Estate and Construction industry group.
- Schwabe Strengthens Industry Focus with Promotion of Three Attorneys to ShareholderMarch 5, 2019
- Meet the PBJ's 2019 Women of Influence Class: Graciela Gomez Cowger HonoredFebruary 26, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger named one of Portland Business Journal's Women of Influence for making "major splashes in the legal field."
- PTAB Tosses Columbia Fabric IP Challenge Due to Time BarLaw360February 21, 2019
“Columbia is pleased with the PTAB’s decision, which recognizes that Ventex filed the IPRs as a proxy for, on behalf of, and for the benefit of Seirus, which was apparently done to circumvent statutory requirements,” said Nika Aldrich.
- Portland Area Breast Milk Maker Scores Patent Victory in Federal CourtPortland Business JournalFebruary 14, 2019
A Wilsonville maker of breast milk-based food for preterm infants scored a victory in its lawsuit against a larger competitor.
- How Midsize Firms Can Prioritize Partner Diversity Past "Checking the Box"Law.comFebruary 14, 2019
Cowger, who is Hispanic, took the reins at Schwabe in 2017. She said her firm leads by example, given that “we are one of the few firms that has a person of color leading it.”
- PBJ Executives of the Year 2018: Graciela Gomez Cowger of Schwabe, Williamson & WyattFebruary 7, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger is helping Schwabe retain its status as one of the city's go-to business firms.
- Experts Say Tech Trends Will Hit Bend Real Estate MarketThe BulletinFebruary 7, 2019
Autonomous vehicles, i-buyers could change the industry.
- Columbia Sportswear Sues Seirus, Ventex for Patent Challenge FraudBloomberg LawJanuary 30, 2019
Columbia sued Seirus and Ventex Jan. 29 in U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon for conspiring to commit fraud, abusing court process, and violating federal and Oregon state racketeering laws.
- Columbia Sportswear Says Rival Fraudulently Funded IPRsLaw360January 30, 2019
Columbia Sportswear North America Inc. accused rival Seirus Innovative Accessories Inc. in federal court of scheming with its fabric vendor to secretly and illegally fund Patent Trial and Appeal Board challenges.
- After 6-Year Patent Fight, Columbia Slaps Rival with $20 Million Racketeering LawsuitThe OregonianJanuary 30, 2019
What began as a garden variety patent fight for Columbia Sportswear has morphed into a nasty six-year legal battle replete with bitter accusations of fraud, perjury and double-dealing.
- Graciela Gomez Cowger Honored with Portland Business Journal's Executive of the Year AwardJanuary 18, 2019
Graciela is one of 12 executives honored with Portland Business Journal’s 2018 Executive of the Year award.
- Fostering Creativity and Change: Ex-Engineer Graciela Gomez Cowger Brings Innovation and Efficiencies to LawOregon State BarJanuary 9, 2019
Graciela Gomez Cowger parlayed a successful career as an engineer into a specialty legal practice in intellectual property. Now she is applying those combined backgrounds into leading one of Oregon's largest law firms.
- The Talent Crunch: How to Hire and RetainPuget Sound Business JournalDecember 18, 2018
In a recent survey, more than half of employers and managers said they’re hiring in 2018, but three-quarters said their industries face severe skills shortages.
- Schwabe Ranked #2 on Portland Business Journal's List of Oregon’s Most Admired CompaniesPortland Business JournalDecember 17, 2018
Nearly 1,000 Oregon business leaders determined the region's most-admired businesses.
- 3 Portland Attorneys Talk #MeToo at the One-Year Mark Portland Business JournalDecember 13, 2018
Schwabe attorney Amanda Gamblin shares how the #MeToo movement has affected workplace policies.
- Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt Joins WSG as New Exclusive Member for Oregon, Washington and AlaskaDecember 11, 2018
WSG consists of the highest quality members, each of whom are dedicated to sharing knowledge and building beneficial relationships to best serve clients across practice areas and geographies.
- Thought Leader Forum: Technology and How Innovation Is Changing Portland BusinessPortland Business JournalNovember 30, 2018
Schwabe's Karri K. Bradley joins the panel of experts to discuss trends, their expectations for technology companies, and the challenges ahead.
- Dan Eller receives OSB Taxation Section Pro Bono Award November 20, 2018
Congratulations to Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt partner, Dan Eller, who received the first OSB Taxation Section Pro Bono Award and was elected Chair of the Portland Tax Forum.
- Schwabe Is Nationally Recognized in the 2019 Best Law Firms ListNovember 15, 2018
Schwabe proudly announces top national rankings by U.S. News—Best Law Firms, one of the nation's leading publications in the ranking of law firms and attorneys.
- Core Values Help Vigor Navigate New WatersPortland Business JournalNovember 9, 2018
Interview with Schwabe client Vigor about how the company is driving change in the area of workforce practices.
- How Can Manufacturers Improve and Expand Their Workforce?Oregon BusinessNovember 8, 2018
Out of more than 100 manufacturers surveyed in the Pacific Northwest, over 75% reported the same top-of-mind challenge to growth: attracting and retaining a skilled workforce.
- Tribal Treaty Right May Sway Justices in Wash. Tax FightLaw360November 2, 2018
The U.S. Supreme Court weighed whether a Yakama Nation company should be subject to a Washington state fuel tax during oral arguments over the past week, and attorneys say the tribe's chances for success hinge on the court’s apparent willingness to endorse a strong tribal treaty right to conduct business using off-reservation highways.
- Lease Crutcher Lewis Sets an Example for Diversifying the Construction IndustryPortland Business JournalNovember 1, 2018
The team from Schwabe caught up with CEO Bart Ricketts to discuss the many challenges facing the industry and how Lease Crutcher Lewis is tackling them head on.
- Glove Lining Fight Could Lock in Damages Test Used in Apple CaseBloomberg LawOctober 30, 2018
The test that a California federal court used to hand Apple Inc. a $533 million award for its patented designs is going under the microscope in a case involving winter gloves.
- Pacific Northwest Lumber Company Innovating Within The Building IndustryPortland Business JournalOctober 12, 2018
Schwabe client, Freres Lumber Company has been operating and innovating for 95 years. In 2016, it announced a first-of-its-kind product, a Mass Plywood Panel, which could revolutionize the way America builds.
- Companies Weigh In on "State of Manufacturing" in Pacific NorthwestBusiness TribuneOctober 11, 2018
Struggles to find skilled workers and worries over the impact of tariffs aren't enough to tarnish the largely positive outlook of companies involved in manufacturing in Oregon and Washington.
- New Study Shows Improving, Expanding Workforce Top Challenge for Pacific Northwest ManufacturersOregon BusinessOctober 10, 2018
Today Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Aldrich Advisors released State of Manufacturing in the Pacific Northwest, a survey detailing insight from more than 100 executives representing long-standing Pacific Northwest manufacturers.
- Governor Inslee appoints Averil Budge Rothrock to King County Superior Court Washington Governor Jay InsleeOctober 9, 2018
For 25 years, Rothrock has worked in a complex civil litigation practice at Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt in Seattle, focused on civil appeals in state and federal court, and a complex motion practice in the trial courts.
- Manufacturers in Northwest Say Finding Skilled Labor Is Greatest ChallengeThe ColumbianOctober 3, 2018
Results of an anonymous survey paint a picture of a tight regional labor market in which a majority of manufacturers are seeking to grow their workforce but face challenges in attracting and retaining skilled employees.
- Protecting Client Privacy—A New Practice Area Responds to Rapidly Evolving NeedsOregon State Bar BulletinOctober 3, 2018
The big problem is that protected health information now is easily and widely available to many more people than before the change to electronic medial records.
- What Dozens of Oregon Manufacturers Told Schwabe About the State of the IndustryPortland Business JournalOctober 1, 2018
Workforce management, tax policy and technological impacts were some of the top issues mentioned by manufacturers responding to a survey commissioned by Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Aldrich Advisors.
- Manufacturers in Northwest Say Finding Skilled Labor is Greatest ChallengeThe ColumbianOctober 1, 2018
Pacific Northwest manufacturers across a broad spectrum of industries are optimistic about the future but concerned about the ability to grow their workforce, which is seen as the biggest challenge facing Northwest manufacturers.
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Aldrich to Host Second Annual Manufacturing SymposiumBusiness TribuneSeptember 25, 2018
Join your fellow manufacturers to learn about key challenges and issues facing manufacturers in the Pacific Northwest and ways that your business can be successful during these changing times.
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Aldrich to Host Second Annual Manufacturing SymposiumOregon BusinessSeptember 19, 2018
On Sept. 28, Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt and Aldrich will bring together manufacturing professionals from across the Pacific Northwest to learn, share ideas and receive well-rounded perspectives from industry professionals on challenges and issues facing manufacturers today.
- Blockchaining UpBusiness TribuneSeptember 18, 2018
Portland firms put a smiley face on complex crypto technology, as the gold rush begins.
- Blockchain Venture Studio to Open in PortlandOregon BusinessSeptember 13, 2018
Venture capitalists say blockchain, a distributed ledger technology, will transform business as we know it. Portland seeks a leading role in that revolution.
- Opinion: Legal industry needs to take a fresh look at recruiting strategiesPuget Sound Business JournalSeptember 4, 2018
An op-ed on the benefits of secondments for diversity recruiting and professional development written by Lisa Schaures and Omar Contreras.
- Three Schwabe Attorneys with Arizona Ties Serve Natural Resource UsersSeptember 4, 2018
Three Schwabe lawyers have been working to benefit natural resource users, including timber operators, cattle growers, farmers, dairy producers and miners.
- Portland-Based Touchmark's CEO on Helping Seniors Live Large in RetirementPortland Business JournalAugust 23, 2018
- Molly Henry Joins Schwabe’s Transportation, Ports & Maritime GroupAugust 17, 2018
Key new team member further deepens group’s expansion in Alaska, Washington and Oregon
- 47 Schwabe Attorneys Make the List of Best Lawyers in America© for 2019August 15, 2018
Schwabe attorneys recognized on the 2019 Best Lawyers in America list represent clients across the firm’s six core industry groups.
- AgaMatrix Gets $1.3M Fees From Dexcom's Failed IP SuitAugust 7, 2018
A California federal judge ruled that diabetes glucose monitoring company Dexcom Inc. must pay rival AgaMatrix Inc. more than $1.3 million in fees after proceeding with patent infringement litigation that bordered on bad faith.
- Heather A. Cunningham Joins Schwabe’s Seattle OfficeAugust 1, 2018
Heather has been representing citizens facing eminent domain issues since 1996. She has been involved in every aspect of eminent domain over the years, from pre-condemnation planning and negotiation through litigation and, when necessary, appeal.
- State Bar Honors Lawyer Alicia LoweJuly 30, 2018
The Washington State Bar Association honored Lisa Lowe with its Local Hero Award for “her exemplary service in Clark County.”
- Bert Ray Named to Alaska Super Lawyers in 2018Super LawyersJuly 27, 2018
Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal field
- Inslee announces nine appointees to state Women’s CommissionJuly 24, 2018
Congrats Graciela Gomez Cowger for being appointed to Washington State Women's Commission
- 33 Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt Attorneys Named to Oregon Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List in 2018Super LawyersJuly 24, 2018
Designation honors attorneys in the top 5 percent of their legal field