Six Practice Areas and 20 Attorneys Singled Out For Excellence by Chambers & Partners
Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt has been recognized for excellence by Chambers & Partners, the world’s most used legal services guide by in-house counsel. In Chambers USA’s 2018 rankings, Schwabe is identified as an industry leader in six practice areas: Corporate/M&A, Environment, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, General Commercial Litigation, and Real Estate. Schwabe’s Intellectual Property practice received Chambers’ highest ranking for the third year in a row, and several Schwabe attorneys earned greater individual rankings.
“We’re proud to be highly regarded by Chambers and our clients in this year’s rankings; it is affirming to see that our approach of immersion into industries and deep knowledge of our clients’ businesses shines through in our work, impressing our clients,” said Graciela Gomez Cowger, CEO of Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt. “We pride ourselves on being a strong and valuable partner and it is great to see this reflected in this year’s Chambers rankings.”
Chambers is one of the definitive sources for law firm and attorney rankings due to its extensive market research and in-depth interviews with legal influencers and client representatives. According to a survey of in-house counsels, 51 percent rely on Chambers’ rankings for guidance on hiring firms and attorneys.
Chambers ranks a firm’s practice areas based on the qualities of the attorneys and on the effectiveness and capability of the practice as a whole. As part of Chambers’ research, significant outreach is also conducted to each firm’s clients in order to generate qualitative findings. Below are select comments Chambers received from Schwabe clients regarding its practice areas and attorneys:
- Possesses significant knowledge and expertise in sectors including timberland, maritime and healthcare. Acts for a broad range of clients, from major multinationals to family-owned companies.
- Schwabe’s lawyers provide “exceptional value for money due to their knowledge, expertise and client orientation. They always review the budget and fees in advance and stay on budget.”
- Robust client base includes those involved in the manufacturing, natural resource and transportation industries. Offers wide-ranging advice on permitting, compliance and liability.
- Also offers niche expertise in matters at the intersection of environmental law and Native American law.
- “They have taken the time to truly understand all aspects of our business, not just the environmental-related issues, which has enabled them to provide additional business value in numerous areas.”
- Acclaimed IP practice capable of providing a wide range of patent, trademark, litigation and licensing advice. Client base includes many leading Northwest companies from a number of industries, including technology, healthcare and manufacturing. Noted for the depth of talent possessed by its bench, with recognized expertise in strategic counseling and prosecution issues.
- “Their communication is excellent, and they are incredibly experienced and efficient—a dream outside counsel.”
- “Schwabe has built up a solid understanding of our business, our industry and our strategic needs. They are responsive, accommodating, collaborative, and make an effort to adapt to the changing needs and demands of our business and industry.”
Labor & Employment
- Experienced in representing clients from sectors such as technology, financial services, transportation and natural resources.
- “We are routinely impressed by the knowledgeable, approachable professionals at Schwabe, all of whom can be relied on to provide timely, reliable solutions to a wide array of challenges.”
- “It is an impressively diverse team with deep knowledge on a variety of issues facing private sector businesses and nonprofits in Oregon and the region.”
Litigation: General Commercial
- Relied on by clients from the maritime, manufacturing and technology sectors, among others.
- Commentators speak highly of the team’s “excellent customer service, responsiveness and quality legal representation.”
- “The attorneys strike the right balance between delivering high-quality legal service and avoiding excessive billing.”
- Well-regarded real estate practice skilled in developments, leasings and financings in the industrial, office and residential spaces. Also known for work on construction, timberland and land use issues. Experience engaging in novel real estate projects in the education sector.
- Interviewees appreciate the group’s frank and commercial counsel, praising “the combination of deep experience and knowledge and no-nonsense, candid advice.”
In addition to six practice areas, 20 individual Schwabe attorneys were singled out as industry leaders based on their legal knowledge and experience, their ability, their effectiveness, and their client services. These Schwabe attorneys are:
- Jamee B. Asher
- David F. Bartz, Jr.
- Carmen Calzacorta
- Michael Cohen
- Thomas Dulcich
- Scott Eads
- Brien Flanagan
- Gregory Fullem
- Michael Garone
- John Guinasso
- Nikki Hatton
- Peter E. Heuser
- Bradley Maier
- Mark Manulik
- Martha O. Pagel
- Joel A. Parker
- Steven Prewitt
- Elizabeth A. Schleuning
- Mark Stayer
- Tom Tongue
The full 2018 rankings can be accessed at www.chambersandpartners.com.Congratulations to all. These awards not only reflect a law firm’s preeminence but also highlight notable achievements over the past twelve months, impressive strategic growth, and excellence in client service.
- David Bartz, Jr.Chair Emeritus
- Carmen CalzacortaShareholder
- Michael CohenIndustry Group Leader
- Scott EadsIndustry Group Leader
- Brien FlanaganIndustry Group Leader
- Gregory FullemShareholder
- Michael GaroneShareholder
- Peter HeuserShareholder
- Bradley MaierShareholder
- Mark ManulikShareholder
- Joel ParkerShareholder
- Steven PrewittShareholder
- Elizabeth SchleuningShareholder
- Mark StayerShareholder
- Thomas TongueShareholder