Environmental Compliance and Safety
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
- Water Law
- Public Lands and Endangered Species
- Plant Development, Facility Siting and Permitting
- Environmental Compliance and Safety
- Agency Actions and Rulemaking
Schwabe’s lawyers have deep experience in federal and state environmental, health and safety laws and regulations. We advise clients at each step in the compliance process, from assessing compliance of individual environmental health and safety management plans, conducting environmental audits and providing counsel during regulatory and law enforcement investigations, to defending clients in citizen suits and related litigation and appealing regulatory actions.
- Clean Air Act and state-specific air emission regulations
- Clean Water Act and state-administered water quality programs
- Solid and hazardous waste management, storage and disposal regulations, including Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and similar state laws
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and state workplace safety standards
- State-specific environmental statutes and regulations
- Assisted a trust with strategy and numerous compliance issues arising from asbestos removal, hazardous waste management and legacy contamination issues at multiple properties, prior to disposition of a portfolio.
- Advise two distinct national wood products companies on ongoing EHS compliance, including regulatory questions related to state and federal water, waste and air matters.
- Negotiated a solid waste disposal permit and associated operations plan for a composting/recycling client.
- Advise clients on environmental audit programs and conduct environmental audits to identify potential concerns and improve ongoing compliance.
- Helped a global steel producer develop a strategy for and resolve a significant hazardous waste management compliance issue.
- Conducted MHSA, OSHA and environmental due diligence for a client purchasing an interest in an Alaska gold mining project.
- Conduct an OSHA legal compliance audit for a wood product mill as part of a nationwide compliance and improvement plan.
- Provided legal review of hazardous waste management and occupational safety operating procedures for use in a childcare client's learning centers nationwide.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 company with legal review of newly developed EHS procedures for industrial facilities.
Resources & Ideas
- Beef magazine
- Zach BerneAssociate
- Carson BowlerShareholder
- Patrick ClearyAssociate
- Josh DennisAssociate
- Brien FlanaganIndustry Group Leader
- Elizabeth HowardShareholder
- Connie Sue MartinShareholder