Schwabe helps clients craft tax strategies that will set them up for success, whether through corporate and partnership tax planning, property and excise tax provisions, tax controversy resolution, trust/estate and succession planning, or probate/trust administration.
Protecting the bottom line and clients' peace of mind
Taxes are a given. We handle them with the skill and dedication to our client's interests that allow clients to focus on other important matters. Our tax lawyers provide goal-oriented tax, trust and estate planning services to for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited liability companies, professional corporations, partnerships, trusts and estates, as well as individuals. Much of our work involves working to protect family legacies through thoughtful succession planning.
When controversy strikes
Schwabe has an established reputation for resolving difficult tax controversies, including litigation against governmental agencies. Clients turn to us for representation before federal and state taxing agencies as well as in civil and criminal tax cases in court. We represent publicly held corporations, local small businesses, individuals and exempt organizations in a wide array of trial and appellate tax matters.
- Transitioned a family-owned ranch in Oregon through five successive generations of owners.
- Created an estate plan for a business owner that provides for the continuing operation of a $70 million business and defers estate taxes under Code Section 6166.
- Assisted multiple corporations in tax-free divisive reorganizations under Code Section 355.
- Won an Oregon Tax Court case on whether the Department of Revenue could tax the sale of subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 corporation.
Resources & Ideas
- Probate Property vs. Non-probate Assets
- Initial Filing in Probate Court and Estate Timeline
- Trusts From A to Z: Grantor Trusts
- Trusts From A to Z: Trusts Used for Tax Reduction
- Trusts From A to Z: Simple Trusts and Revocable Living Trusts
- Daily Journal of Commerce
- Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon
- DJC Oregon
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section Newsletter
- The Health Lawyer
- Portland Business Journal
- Vancouver Business Journal
- Robert DaytonShareholder
- Dan EllerShareholder
- Stacie FellowsSenior Paralegal
- Joanne HallSenior Paralegal
- Tracy HambletSenior Paralegal
- Sarah Roubidoux LawsonOf Counsel
- Samantha MacBethAssociate
- Jeff S. PattersonShareholder
- Armando SalcedoParalegal
- Lisa SchauresShareholder
- Marc SellersShareholder
- Alee SoleimanpourAssociate
- Jennifer WoodhouseShareholder