Tax and Estate Planning
Schwabe helps clients craft tax strategies that will set them up for success, whether through corporate and partnership tax planning, property and excise tax provisions, tax controversy resolution, trust/estate and succession planning, or probate/trust administration.
Protecting the bottom line and clients' peace of mind
Taxes are a given. We handle them with the skill and dedication to our client's interests that allow clients to focus on other important matters. Our tax lawyers provide goal-oriented tax, trust and estate planning services to for-profit and nonprofit corporations, limited liability companies, professional corporations, partnerships, trusts and estates, as well as individuals. Much of our work involves working to protect family legacies through thoughtful succession planning.
When controversy strikes
Schwabe has an established reputation for resolving difficult tax controversies, including litigation against governmental agencies. Clients turn to us for representation before federal and state taxing agencies as well as in civil and criminal tax cases in court. We represent publicly held corporations, local small businesses, individuals and exempt organizations in a wide array of trial and appellate tax matters.
- Transitioned a family-owned ranch in Oregon through five successive generations of owners.
- Created an estate plan for a business owner that provides for the continuing operation of a $70 million business and defers estate taxes under Code Section 6166.
- Assisted multiple corporations in tax-free divisive reorganizations under Code Section 355.
- Won an Oregon Tax Court case on whether the Department of Revenue could tax the sale of subsidiaries of a Fortune 500 corporation.
Resources & Ideas
- Probate Property vs. Non-probate Assets
- Initial Filing in Probate Court and Estate Timeline
- Trusts From A to Z: Grantor Trusts
- Trusts From A to Z: Trusts Used for Tax Reduction
- Trusts From A to Z: Simple Trusts and Revocable Living Trusts
- February 6th & 7th, 2020
- MTC Lunch Series
- Oregon Corporate Activity Tax (CAT)
- Ties, Taxes, and the Future of Estate Planning
- Zoom / Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, 1211 SW 5th Ave., Suite 1900 Portland, OR 97204
- Washington (State and Federal) Tax Update
- Ethics in Farm Succession
- Farm Succession and Tax Issues
- Farm & Ranch Succession Planning (Burns on July 18 and City of Vale on July 19)
- Farm and Ranch Succession Planning (Burns on September 7 and Ontario on September 8)
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts
- Daily Journal of Commerce
- DJC Oregon
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section Newsletter
- The Health Lawyer
- Portland Business Journal
- Vancouver Business Journal
- Steven CooperAssociate
- Robert DaytonShareholder
- Dan EllerShareholder
- Joanne HallSenior Paralegal
- Tracy HambletParalegal
- Sarah Roubidoux LawsonShareholder
- Samantha MacBethAssociate
- Susan SchwabSenior Paralegal
- Marc SellersShareholder
- Alee SoleimanpourAssociate
- M. John WayShareholder
- Jennifer WoodhouseShareholder
Ideas Fuel Industries
Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts
Using a Defined Benefit Plan for Business Succession Planning Purposes
Farm and Ranch Succession Planning (Burns on September 7 and Ontario on September 8)