Brent E. Gale
Brent Gale gives his clients access to the energy knowledge and industry insights he has gained through decades of experience as a lawyer, litigator and senior executive of one of the largest and most successful global utility holding companies in the United States. He has personally litigated or had ultimate responsibility for results in hundreds of utility regulatory proceedings and associated appeals, including utility mergers and acquisitions. His experience also includes state and federal utility regulation, state and federal environmental regulation, regulatory relations, government affairs, and the nearly-forgotten art of legislative drafting.
As a former senior executive at Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company, Brent understands business, budgets and business planning. As a former general counsel, he understands the varied range of legal and regulatory issues that confront all industry players. Brent draws on this extensive experience to achieve the optimum sustainable results for his clients.
*Admitted to practice only in Iowa.
Supervised by shareholders in the Portland office.
- Served as executive V.P. and Senior Energy Consultant for StrataG Consulting, Inc., providing energy consulting services regarding mergers and acquisitions, strategic regulatory & business planning, utility rates & rate design, renewable energy, distributed energy, regulatory relations, government affairs, and legislative drafting.
- Conducted due diligence for and led the team that negotiated Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company’s acquisition of PacifiCorp, securing regulatory approvals in six states and from federal agencies.
- Oversaw regulatory results, state government affairs and business plans for three U.S. utilities owned by Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company, as well as corporate strategy for the holding company.
- Drafted and negotiated proposed legislation enacted in Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Illinois and Indiana.
- Conducted due diligence, developed regulatory strategies and litigated several mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructurings for MidAmerican Energy Company, a Berkshire Hathaway Energy Co. subsidiary.
- Handled regulatory issues, state government affairs and business plans for an electric and gas utility.
- Personally litigated over 100 regulatory proceedings and associated appeals in three states, including several arguments before the Iowa Supreme Court.
- Litigated electric and gas issues before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and its predecessor, including groundbreaking issues regarding renewable energy.
- Developed, litigated and administered modifications to regulatory practices and procedures that benefited a regulated company and its customers.
Memberships & Awards
- Iowa Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- PacifiCorp Board of Directors (2005–2014)
- New Mexico State University Center for Public Utilities Board of Advisors (Board Member 1984-2014), Board Chair (two terms)
- Gamma in Iowa Chapter, Phi Beta Kappa
Resources & Ideas
- July 21, 2015
- Oregon Museum of Science & Industry Board of Directors (2010-2014)
- Oregon Coastal Aquarium Board of Directors (2011-2014)
- Drake UniversityBachelor of Arts degree, political science (1972)
- Drake UniversityJuris Doctor degree (1976)
Iowa State Courts