Leaders and innovators in healthcare and life sciences are represented by Schwabe.
Changing regulations, staffing shortages, the development of critical therapies, and new models for care and staffing are among the most pressing stress points in the business of healthcare, biotech, and pharma.
We serve as trusted advisors for the industry
- We help healthcare providers navigate critical transactions, agreements, and mergers and acquisitions that strengthen the healthcare system and increase access to care.
- Our experience with regulatory compliance, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, Medicare and Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act, helps our healthcare clients mitigate risk.
- As federal, state and local laws governing employee relations continue to change and expand in complexity, we work closely with clients on compliance issues and maintaining a workplace that promotes patient care.
- To protect clients’ valuable emerging and established intellectual property, we apply our full bench strength—from initial patent prosecution, to litigating infringement offensives, to product liability defenses and litigation.
Helping clients meet industry challenges while promoting patient care
As counsel to healthcare systems and physician groups, we can address the wide range of challenges faced by the industry, including:
- Regulatory compliance
- Accreditation and licensing
- Employment advice and litigation
- Medicare, Medicaid, and payer reimbursement
- Mergers, acquisitions, and combinations
- HIPAA and data security
- Fraud and abuse claims
- Internal and external investigations
- Legal ethics
- Business transactions
- Corporate formation and governance
- Drug and device
- Insurance coverage
- IP licensing
- Litigation and infringement claims
- Medical device
- Medical technology
- Patent and intellectual property protection
- Patent infringement
- Patent litigation
- Product liability
- Real estate
- Tax strategies
- Technology transfer and licensing
- Witness preparation
Working together to shape the future
We are active in industry associations, including:
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of University Technology Managers
- DRI | Lawyers Representing Business
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- National Institute on Health Care Fraud
- Oregon Ambulatory Surgery Center Association
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems
- Oregon Bioscience Association
- Oregon Business & Industry, Health Policy Committee
- Oregon Health Care Association
- Oregon Medical Association
- Oregon State Bar Health Law Section
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
American Health Lawyers Association
What our clients say
“Schwabe has a rare and great combination of responsiveness and urgency. They helped us with a very complex transaction that had several moving levers. The solutions-oriented team provided incredibly creative responses to challenging issues. I could also rely on the fact that they had our best interests at heart—there was never any question that seeing us be successful was a top priority.”
State of Healthcare in the PNW
Few other industries have faced the number of challenges that healthcare has over the past several years. We examine the experiences and concerns of healthcare executives, employees, and patients.
- Represent hospitals and specialty medical groups in joint ventures, both for-profit and charitable, and physician-hospital organization (PHO) formations.
- Help investigate and respond to complaints filed against healthcare entities and practitioners by patients, staff members, and others.
- Defend manufacturers and distributors of medical devices and pharmaceuticals against product liability claims.
- Provide HIPAA compliance advice, data breach preparation, response and recovery solutions.
- Conduct investigations to assist health systems, hospitals, and other healthcare entities address possible compliance, employment, risk management, and other matters.
- Prosecute patents for major universities and medical schools involving technologies ranging from medical devices to diagnostics/assays to treatments to biochemical and pharmaceutical innovations.
- Advise on acquisition of physician practices, physician recruitment and employment, and compliance with the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback statute and the Internal Revenue Code.
- Serve as a sounding board and thought partner for in-house legal, compliance, and risk management teams that are dealing with complex challenges.
- Assist physicians and other healthcare professionals with licensing and credentialing matters, including investigations by licensing boards and credentialing committees.