Some of the world’s best-known brands are represented by Schwabe.
Schwabe provides services to help industry leaders, growing businesses, and start-ups establish and manage strong domestic and international trademark portfolios.
We regularly advise in relation to the selection and protection of trademarks, service marks, slogans, trade dress, and domain names. In particular, we handle:
- Clearance, registration, and enforcement
- Oppositions and cancellation proceedings
- License, co-branding, and other agreements
We counsel clients on copyright issues for all types of materials, including traditional print, music, art and sculpture, databases, and digital content. Clients regularly call on us to assist with registration, counseling, licensing, ownership transfers, infringement demands, and other disputes.
We also have significant experience litigating trademark and copyright cases, but are equally adept at resolving these disputes without the expense and delay of litigation whenever possible.
Ensuring compliance for marketing campaigns
Our clients seek our advice on their website and ad campaign content, product packaging and promotional materials, and similar marketing materials. We help ensure compliance with Federal Trade Commission guidelines and applicable state and federal laws. We also provide advice on required disclosures in social media and other marketing campaigns. In addition, we draft and negotiate sponsorship, endorsement, and influencer agreements on behalf of our clients and advise on state laws that govern sweepstakes and contests, including drafting Official Rules and registering promotions with various states when required.
The Americas + The Middle East & Africa, 2022
What our clients say
“A full-service powerhouse in this neck of the woods, Schwabe keenly recognizes the asset potential of intellectual property and has sculpted a robust soft IP and patent practice to help maximize the gains of its illustrious client base.
A replete knowledge not just of trademarks but also of marketing and advertising law enables it to execute holistic solutions to any brand-related conundrum.”
“As General Counsel of a rapidly growing technology company headquartered near Portland, I have come to count on Schwabe as a ‘go-to’ firm for my company’s outside counsel needs. The firm is deep in all areas that one would expect from a full‐service law firm.”
- Counseled local software startup in enforcing its trademark against encroachment from an international tech company in jurisdictions worldwide.
- Led trademark clearance and protection for SureID’s corporate rebranding of a fingerprint processing company.
- Obtained favorable settlements for a large pharmaceutical company in trademark, trade dress, and anti-counterfeiting cases.
- Represented a securities exchange in copyright and misappropriation lawsuit regarding the right to list options on financial indexes.
- Handle domestic and international trademark clearance, enforcement and portfolio management for a knife Company. Provide counsel on anti-counterfeiting, product endorsement and sponsorship agreements, and domestic and international distribution agreements.
- Represented a large food-service company in connection with the review of website content for proper trademark usage and proper marketing claims.
- Represented a well-known alcohol distributor in connection with operating a national sweepstakes with significant prizes and prize values, including working on official rules for the sweepstakes, registering the sweepstakes in various states, and negotiating agreements with vendors involved in the promotion.
- Helped local band acquire the rights to its artwork from their designer.
Ideas & Insights
News and Insights delivered to your inbox